For list of program dates, tuition rates, and to apply, see the
We are thrilled to announce 2019-2020 FIELD/WORK co-facilitators, Shelby Stone and Sydney Stoudmire, who will be joined by Kate Zeller, CAC Director of Education, in hosting this year’s program. FIELD/WORK sessions will take place every other Tuesday evening (October 15 - March 24) from 6:00 - 8:30 pm at the Chicago Artists Coalition.
Chicago Artists Coalition collaboratively developed the FIELD/WORK curriculum to combine working sessions, deep thinking about one’s creative practice, and community building with the goal to empower artists to reaffirm their autonomy in creating the groundwork for a sustainable practice.
Over the course of the 6-months, each meeting will be structured as a working session, providing resources and exercises for artists to take stock of where they are at in terms of their work and practice, envision where they want to go, and explore a range of frameworks to determine generative ways to get there.
Knowledge and insights from peers within the cohort, coupled with a range of methodologies offered by program co-facilitators, guest practitioners, and workshop leaders, will provide participating artists with a continuous feedback loop to support the evolution of their pathway.
Through a series of workshops, exercises, collective conversations, readings, and individualized support, the curriculum will seek to enable artist residents to:
- Build a supportive community among peers and practitioners in the field
- Devote time for reflection about their practice and explore what forms of goal-setting and planning are the most generative
- Receive direct feedback on their work and practice plans from cohort colleagues, program facilitators, and guest practitioners through studio visits and group conversations
- Gain experience drafting applications and proposals with responses and insights provided by guest administrators of local opportunities
- Access educational resources and reading materials, and develop strategies for working with and through moments of uncertainty and other creative blocks
- Combine skill identification with consideration for intrinsic motivators to address and cultivate autonomy, and determine which systems may be most meaningful to their work and practice
- Additional elements of the residency will be developed in response to and in collaboration with the 2019-2020 artist cohort
FIELD/WORK artists will also be able to attend any public programs hosted by CAC for free, as a way to add to their resources and skill-development over the course of the six months.
More information about previous years’ FIELD/WORK guest practitioners and artist participants can be found here.
To apply to participate, please see the Program Guidelines.
FIELD/WORK includes 11 sessions, which take place every other Tuesday evening, 6:00 - 8:30pm, from October 15 - March 24.
Tuition is $60 per month--a total of $360 per resident for the entire program. Selected artists will be asked to sign an agreement and provide the first month's tuition by October 1, 2019 to participate. Payments can then be made each month or in full. Other payment plans are also available. If you have questions about the tuition rate or payment options, please feel free to inquire with Kate Zeller, kate[at]chicagoartistscoalition.org
Never miss a thing
Subscribe to our newsletter and get regular updates on news, events, grants, and the latest opportunities for artists.
Support Chicago Artists
Make a gift to CAC today and join our growing community of supporters