SPARK Grants are an annual, unrestricted award opportunity for Chicago-based visual artists who identify as ALAANA (Asian, Latinx, Arab, African diaspora, Native American), an artist with a demonstrated need, an artist with a disability, or as a self-taught or informally trained artist who is striving to make their art practice a primary vocation.
SPARK Grant will open January 12, 2022 and close March 11, 2022.
Grantees will be notified at the end of May.
Public Announcement of SPARK Grantees in June, 2022.
How SPARK Works
NEW: The SPARK Grant program will offer ten unrestricted awards of $2,500 each to recognize exceptional artists working in Chicago and to support the advancement of their artistic careers. This grant is generously funded by the Joyce Foundation.
Who should apply
This application is open to:
- Visual artists that identify as (one or more of the following):
- ALAANA (Asian, Latinx, African diaspora, Arab, Native American)
- An artist with acute need (individual income less than $44,450/year, family income less than $63,200/year) facing urgent hardship
- An artist with a disability
- A self taught or informally trained artist: an artist who was not formally trained at an art school or degree-granting setting yet is committed to making their art practice a primary vocation
- Ideal candidates show significant promise and dedication towards the advancement of their career as a practicing artist.
Applicants must be:
- A resident of the City of Chicago
- At least 21 years old
- NOT enrolled in a degree-granting program after June 2022
Submissions will be evaluated by a jury panel of three artists and/or arts professionals.
- Nicole Marroquin
- Reveca Torres
*new jury to be announced soon
Important Dates for 2022
- January 12: Application Opens
- January 26: Virtual Information Session #1 - Via Zoom
- February 9: Virtual Information Session #2 - 6:00-7:30 PM (CT) Via Zoom, to register email aileen[@]chicagoartistscoalition[.org]
- February 23: Individual Application Help-Sessions, to make an appointment email aileen[@]chicagoartistscoalition[.org]
- March 11: Application Closes
- April 27-May 6: Jury Deliberations
- Week of May 10: Awardees Notified
For questions and more information contact Aileen Cortez, aileen[@]chicagoartistscoalition[.org]
Consult the FAQ Here
Never miss a thing
Subscribe to our newsletter and get regular updates on news, events, grants, and the latest opportunities for artists