SPARK Microgrant is an annual, unrestricted award opportunity for Chicago-based visual artists who identify as ALAANA (Asian, Latinx, Arab, African diaspora, Native), an artist with a demonstrated need, an artist with a disability, or as a self-taught or informally trained artist who is striving to make their art practice a primary vocation.
How SPARK Works
The SPARK Microgrant program offers fifteen, unrestricted awards of $2,000 each to recognize exceptional artists working in Chicago and to support the advancement of their artistic careers. This grant is generously funded by the Joyce Foundation.
Who should apply
This application is open to:
- Visual artists that identify as (one or more of the following):
- ALAANA (Asian, Latinx, African diaspora, Arab, Native)
- An artist with acute need (individual income less than $44,450/year, family income less than $63,200/year) facing urgent hardship
- An artist with a disability
- A self taught or informally trained artist: an artist who was not formally trained at an art school or degree-granting setting yet is committed to making their art practice a primary vocation
- Ideal candidates show significant promise and dedication towards the advancement of their career as a practicing artist.
Applicants must be:
- A resident of the City of Chicago
- At least 21 years old
- NOT enrolled in a degree-granting program after June 2019
Submissions will be evaluated by a jury panel of four artists and arts professionals.
- Rashayla Marie Brown
- Sky Cubacub
- Pemon Rami
- Vincent Uribe
SPARK Microgrant applications opened on December 15, 2018
Important Dates for 2018-2019
- December 12: Information Session #1 (5:30-7:30 at Chicago Artists Coalition)
- December 15: Application Opens
- January 16: Information Session #2 (6:30 at Build Coffee | 6100 S Blackstone Ave, Chicago, IL 60637)
- February 15: Application Closes
- March 1-30: Jury Deliberations
- April 1: Awardees Notified
Hard copies of the applications will be available for artists who are unable to use the online system. Please contact: Adia Sykes, adia[@]chicagoartistscoalition[.org], for more information
Consult the FAQ Here
Never miss a thing
Subscribe to our newsletter and get regular updates on news, events, grants, and the latest opportunities for artists.