Chicago Shakespeare Theater is seeking an experienced Dresser to join our Wardrobe Staff as a full time member. Chicago Shakespeare produces an average of 14 productions per season in a 500-seat mainstage, 200-seat black box, a new flexible performance space of up to 800 seats. Our productions cover a wide range of subject material including Shakespeare, musicals, new works, educational tours, and international presented productions. The Dresser will join a second full time wardrobe staff member, as well as swing and over-hire crew to manage costume changes, tracks, and maintenance throughout the run of each show. The position is full-time, and is compensated at a competitive hourly rate, with benefits.
- Assisting the actors with dressing pre- and post-show
- Costume Presets on and off stage
- Managing costume changes throughout performances
- Execute quick changes
- Tracking costume pieces to necessary locations throughout the performance
- Upholding the design and quality of the costumes through daily maintenance and repairs
- Hand sewing, machine sewing, serging, painting shoes, repairing jewelry
- Nightly Laundry, including ironing, steaming and distributing the costumes
- Weekly bagging and re-distribution of dry cleaning
- Create wardrobe track paperwork specific to your track
- Attend and run understudy track for put in rehearsals
- Train swing dresser on your track
- Assisting with events where costumes are needed (touch tour, TV appearances, etc.)
- Walking or moving quickly
- Rolling Heavy Costume Racks
- Lifting heavy baskets and large/bulky costumes
- Bending and kneeling on the floor for Quick Changes
- Working in small spaces
Required Skills and Experience:
- Laundry Skills
- Intermediate hand and machine sewing skills
- Home, Commercial, Serger
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Works well in team environments
- Takes direction well and works well under stressful circumstances
- Experience working with professional actors and designers
- Minimum 2 years professional or academic experience
This position is full time, typically involving six days of work each week, including nights, weekends, and occasional holidays. Hours will vary based on the needs of each production.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and 3 references via email (with Wardrobe Dresser in the subject line) to firstname.lastname@example.org. All submissions should be formatted as .pdf. No phone calls, please.
Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.