Visitor Services Associate
Wrightwood 659 seeks enthusiastic individuals for gallery staff positions during the upcoming exhibition, Tetsuya Ishida: Self-portrait of Other. This is the first retrospective exhibition of Japanese artist Ishida (1973−2005) in the United States. Tetsuya Ishida: Self-Portrait of Other reveals the sense of disorientation and alienation that permeated Japan’s consumer society during and after the recession in the 1990s.
Organized by the Museo Reina Sofía, Madrid, Tetsuya Ishida: Self-portrait of Other, travels from Spain to Wrightwood 659 and will be on display from October 3 – December 14, 2019. Gallery hours are Thursday and Friday from 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm and Saturday from 10:00 am – 7:00 pm.
During the exhibition, Visitor Service Associates are expected to schedule their days to coincide with operating hours. Ideally, part-time VSAs will be available to work 3 days per week (25-27 hours). Applicants should be available the week before opening for gallery training sessions and protocol briefings.
Successful candidates will possess a passion for art, architecture, and social movements. They must be comfortable in a progressive environment and enthusiastic about working with widespread audiences. VSAs are expected to be intuitive, reliable, intellectually curious, and inclusive team members capable of maintaining a peaceful gallery atmosphere. VSAs must possess outstanding communication skills and engage with visitors in the gallery. We’re looking for outgoing individuals that are comfortable approaching diverse demographics.
- Front entry ticketing, greeting guests, and communicating gallery policies and information about the exhibit.
- Managing the coat check.
- Recording gallery observations and feedback.
- Working in tandem with the security staff to engage visitors and ensure a safe and positive visitor experience.
- Monitor gallery activity during open hours and public programs.
- Assisting with gallery upkeep and opening/closing procedures.
- Assisting with setup for gallery events and public programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to stand for extended periods and lift light furniture.
- Ability to work up to 11-hour days.
- Occasional late days may be required due to special events and exhibition programming.
Skills & Qualifications
- 1 year of guest service experience, preferably in a museum, academic, or cultural venue.
- Candidate should have a welcoming and engaging personality.
- Excellent communication skills and sensitivity to a variety of visitors’ needs.
- Organized, composed, and focused in a dynamic environment.
- Keen observational skills and a propensity for spatial order.
- Familiarity with digital devices and personal technologies.
- Knowledge of contemporary art, social movements, and/or architecture.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or simultaneously enrolled in a professional degree program.
- Employment is conditional based on review of references and appropriate security checks.
- Multilingual is a plus.
To apply please email Resume, Cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.