LOCATION: 170 N Dearborn
REPORTING TO: Video Producer
SALARY RANGE: $37,000 - $40,000
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability
The Goodman Videographer is responsible for creating video content—shooting, editing, delivering—for the primary purpose of promoting a robust theater season (including nine+ productions and ancillary creative programming) and communicating institutional messaging (Education and Engagement programs, community partnerships and events). Content is created for use primarily online (GoodmanTheatre.org, marketing e-blasts and social media), broadcast purposes (local television and radio), fundraising events, the Goodman lobby and internal/artistic uses. The Videographer assists with concepting video marketing content and institutional story-telling and messaging.
Essential Functions of this job include, but are not limited to:
1. Ability to interact with and collaborate well with others—specifically, reporting to the Video Producer and working closely with creative team members—to produce video for the organization that entices through a compelling narrative, reflects the brand and speaks to the institution’s current and future patrons
2. Idea generation, storyboarding and other visualization to communicate concepts for video
3. Set up shots and light subjects with quality lighting and audio
4. Work on multiple high stakes projects under tight deadlines
5. Work across several project management platforms and storage services
6. Maintain and update Goodman’s video archive
7. Maintain individual work flows and project schedules
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
1. The ability to frame and light a subject
2. Editing in Adobe Suite (Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Photoshop)
3. Audio recording and mixing
4. Knowledge of the equipment, hardware, and software used to create video content
5. An understanding and appreciation of video trends on social media
6. High level of computer literacy
7. Excellent communication skills
8. Ability to work independently and offer solutions to problems
9. Ability to communicate with artists with sensitivity within artistic spaces
10. An understanding of theater and the productions in the Goodman’s season
11. Awareness of the Goodman brand and how it translates to videos produced
12. Knowledge of file formats required for all media outlets, traditional (broadcast networks, online media) and social (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc).
13. Ability to work nights and weekends as needed
14. Ability to lift and move heavy equipment
· Ability to effectively design motion graphics
Must have 2+ years shooting and editing experience in permanent, freelance and/or internship roles. Must be able to provide a selection of video samples, filmed and edited by the candidate. Higher education and additional relevant experience preferred.
Goodman Theatre offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, paid vacation, sick leave, and 401K.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community— the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
The Goodman requires proof of full vaccination. New employees who are not fully vaccinated as of the date of hire are required to be fully vaccinated within 45 days of hire and provide twice-weekly proof of a negative COVID-19 test prior to being fully vaccinated. Further details will be provided upon hire.
The Goodman is an inclusive and accessible employer. Successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified individuals are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by clicking here and selecting the "Apply to this job" button at the bottom of the page. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location. No phone calls, please