Teaching Artist – Filmmaking for Beginners- Beverly Arts Center
As part of the Beverly Arts Center’s mission, our Outreach department offers tailored Arts-enrichment programming to Chicago area public and private schools throughout the city and surrounding suburbs before-school, in-school, and after-school. The Outreach department and its ensemble of professional Teaching Artists also serves home school groups, community organizations, libraries, churches, and more, offering programming in all artistic disciplines in addition to coordinating field trips and special events.
BAC Outreach is seeking a Filmmaking Teaching Artist for immediate hire in anticipation of the 2019-2020 school year. The teaching artist reports to the Theater/Film Coordinator at Beverly Arts Center School of Fine Arts.
- Teaching young filmmakers how to become directors. The class will cover story, script, lighting, sound, production, composition and different facets of post-production.
- Facilitating group projects with students writing and filming their own material.
- Editing raw content from workshops into a finished script and short film.
- The class culminates with a film screening of the student’s short film in the main theater of the Beverly Arts Center.
Experience and Education:
- Applicants should be practicing artists with a portfolio or body of work to present in conjunction with a resume detailing any relevant teaching experience or previous work with young people. A minimum of 2 years of teaching experience is strongly preferred.
- A High School Diploma is required, and a Bachelor's or advanced degree is preferred; compensation is commensurate with education level and teaching experience.
- All candidates will be considered primarily on the basis of reliability, accountability and integrity combined with a passion for bringing the arts to classrooms in need of enriching artistic programs.
- All candidates must be able to pass a background check and fingerprinting screen.
Teaching Artists are strongly motivated independent contractors who demonstrate tangible classroom management skills and an ability to properly address behavior issues among students. Transparent availability, scheduling flexibility and strong communication skills are required assets for this position. As representatives of the Beverly Arts Center, artists are expected to be professional, prepared and prompt for all contracted classes. The BAC reserves the right to terminate Teaching Artists from the active roster at any time if these standards are not upheld.
Pay is $40/hour
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Only emailed applications will be considered.