LAB TA DESCRIPTION:
Lab is stewarded by a team of six teaching artists and staff with a range of artistic and teaching experiences. Three established teaching artists are paired with three Marwen Emerging Teaching Artists (METAs) based on complimentary practices. Together, the team offers residents support in painting, drawing, mixed-media, digital and darkroom photography, printmaking, ceramics, and fashion, and facilitates community-building.
We are looking to hire a teaching artist with skills in PHOTOGRAPHY AND DIGITAL MEDIA.
It is a priority that the Lab TA be skilled in digital photography, photo editing, darkroom photography, and lighting for photography. Ideal candidates will also have skills in graphic design, digital illustration, animation, videography, or curating.
TEACHING ARTIST RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with TA/staff team to plan sessions within the outline Lab curriculum.
- Facilitate community-building through designing and leading activities and opportunities for discovery and dialogue
- Lead demonstrations and skill-building workshops in response to residents' needs and interests within the mediums of digital photography, lighting, dark room photography, editing, photoshop, digital animation, illustration, or graphic design
- Facilitate individual and group critiques and feedback sessions to help youth develop their projects.
- Mentor META (emerging teaching artist) in developing their skills and practice as a teaching artist through sharing session-planning, facilitation, critique, and curatorial skills
- Participate in curating the final Lab exhibition
- Introduce Lab residents to other Chicago artists and organizations to help build networks of support and resources
- Participate in weekly meetings and shared professional development with other Marwen Teaching Artists as part of the TA Cohort.
STRONG CANDIDATES FOR THE TA ROLE WILL HAVE:
- Previous experience facilitating artist programming for Chicago 10th-12th graders.
- Commitment to creative youth development values of racial justice, collective action, and youth voice
- Commitment to building and contributing to collaborative environments, including cohorts, co-facilitation models, and teaching teams
- An artistic practice in photography
WEEKLY TIME COMMITMENT:
- Weekly cohort meeting (~1 to 1.5 hrs)
- Weekly planning and reflection meetings with teaching team (~1.5 hrs)
- 8 week studio course (5:00-7:30pm)
- Additional planning time, art kit/supply support, individual check-ins, etc (~2hrs)
$45/hr for 10hrs/week
Fall term: 13 weeks
length of spring contract TBD
Marwen provides year-round, out-of-school visual arts studio and career-pathways programs to young people from nearly every neighborhood in Chicago. Teaching artists and education staff utilize the tools of creative youth development to facilitate programs in a wide range of disciplines, including painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramics, analog and digital photography, printmaking, animation, fashion design, and mixed media. For more information, visit www.marwen.org.
To apply visit https://forms.gle/NJRNyrGpXHXhQ7ye6