Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Scenic Carpenter. The Scenic Carpenter works as part of the scenic team and is responsible for constructing scenic elements for productions, collaborating with staff on the build, load-in, and load-out of theatrical scenery, and maintaining a safe work environment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- Working knowledge of power tools and hand tools
- Knowledge in scenic construction, rigging, automation, and technical drafting
- Experience in theatrical carpentry, automation, welding, rigging, and sewing
- Working knowledge with specialized tools in advanced scenic construction, e.g. wood and metal working tools, CNC
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and multi- task
- Knowledge of safe practices relevant to hazardous waste and MSDS.
- Ability to frequently lift and carry objects weighing 50+ lbs.
- Steppenwolf gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion
Two years of professional carpentry experience is preferred. Candidates with equivalent experience and expertise will be considered.
This position reports to the Technical Director.
- Constructing scenery and set pieces, including mechanically moving pieces, stationary, and flying pieces
- Collaborating with Technical Director and Scene Shop Supervisor on a regular basis to ensure safe and efficient build, installation, and strike of scenery
- Reading and interpreting shop drawings
- Participation in the load-in and strike of productions
- Maintaining a safe and tidy work and shop environment
- Performing other duties and responsibility as assigned by Technical Director or Scene Shop Supervisor.
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is the nation’s premier ensemble theater. Formed by a collective of actors in 1976, the ensemble represents a remarkable cross-section of actors, directors and playwrights. Thrilling and powerful productions from Balm in Gilead to August: Osage County—and accolades that include the National Medal of Arts and 12 Tony Awards— have made the theater legendary. Steppenwolf produces hundreds of performances and events annually in its three spaces: the 515-seat Downstairs Theatre, the 299-seat Upstairs Theatre and the 80-seat 1700 Theatre. Artistic programming includes a seven-play season; a two-play Steppenwolf for Young Adults season; Visiting Company engagements; and LookOut, a multigenre performances series. Education initiatives include the nationally recognized work of Steppenwolf for Young Adults, which engages 15,000 participants annually from Chicago’s diverse communities; the esteemed School at Steppenwolf; and Professional Leadership Programs. While firmly grounded in the Chicago community, nearly 40 original Steppenwolf productions have enjoyed success both nationally and internationally, including Broadway, Off-Broadway, London, Sydney, Galway and Dublin. Anna D. Shapiro is the Artistic Director and David Schmitz is the Executive Director.
For additional information, visit steppenwolf.org, facebook.com/steppenwolftheatre, twitter.com/steppenwolfthtr and instagram.com/steppenwolfthtr.
Salary range: $33,000 - $35,000 with excellent benefit package for full time employees, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, vacation pay, paid sick time, personal days, pre-tax Ventra transit benefit program, employee assistance program and 401(k) matching retirement program.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link by June 15, 2019:
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Steppenwolf complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We are interested in receiving candidates from a broad spectrum of people, including women and people of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds.