RiverEdge Park ChristkindlMarket – BAR-BACK
The Aurora Civic Center Authority (ACCA), an innovative organization located on Stolp Island in the Fox River in the heart of the richly diverse community of historic Aurora, Illinois (one hour from downtown Chicago), is seeking a Bar-Back for the ChristkindlMarket at RiverEdge Park. ACCA is the parent organization, which also includes a 501(c)3 arm under the name of Paramount Arts Centre, Inc. It operates three performance venues: the 6,000-person RiverEdge Park, the 1,843-seat landmark Paramount Theatre, and the 165-seat, newly renovated Copley Theatre. ACCA produces and presents over 500 performances each year, including star-studded touring productions, a self-produced Broadway Series of musicals and the self-produced Bold Series for an annual audience of 350,000 patrons from over 250 communities. ACCA proudly operates the Paramount School of the Arts in the new John C. Dunham Aurora Arts Center, right next door to Paramount Theatre in downtown Aurora. Paramount Theatre also hosts free community events, $1 Classic Movie Mondays and its opulent interiors provide a spectacular backdrop for private functions such as wedding receptions or corporate galas. Across the street from Paramount Theatre are the gorgeous Meyer Ballrooms, which play host to multiple wedding receptions and rental events throughout the year.
The Aurora Civic Center Authority is committed to being a defining catalyst for personal and community transformation by:
• making the performing arts accessible for every age and socioeconomic background,
• introducing the magic of live theater across generations to encourage expansive imaginations and broad views of people and the world,
• and contributing to the future stability and growth of Aurora’s downtown.
The highest purpose of any theater is to inspire its community toward a more perfect humanity. Such humanity can exist only when every member of the community is included and valued, empowered, and heard. To express this truth, ACCA commits its leaders, volunteers, artists, and staff to the active, continual and accountable pursuit of the following principles: equity, inclusion and diversity.
ACCA truly believes and lives by its mission statement and its commitment to equity, social justice, and inclusion.
Since 1996, German American Events, LLC, a subsidiary of the German American Chamber of
Commerce of the Midwest has hosted the Christkindlmarket Chicago as a free event, featuring international and local vendors with various offerings for all ages.
The German-style outdoor market has become so popular that it expanded to several locations in
Illinois. The unique shopping experience, cheerful live entertainment and original food and
beverages like the imported mulled wine from Germany, called Glühwein, make the
Christkindlmarket a preferred and popular destination, mentioned by big media outlets like
the Chicago Tribune, Choose Chicago, and Chicago Magazine. In 2021, it has been nominated as one of the Top 10 Holiday Markets by USA Today 10Best Readers’ Choice.
DEPARTMENT – Audience Services/ Front of House
DIRECT REPORTING – Audience Service/Front of House Management
WORKS CLOSELY WITH – Audience Services & Front of House
POSITION STATUS & SCHEDULE – Seasonal Part Time; generally- 10-15 hours per week
varying dependent on event schedule. Days, Evenings, and Weekend hours available. Position is
seasonal (November 17-December 24 2023) with paid training. Post event shifts may be needed.
ChristkindlMarket Hours (November 17-December 24, 2023)
• Thursdays: 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
• Fridays & Saturdays: 11 a.m.-9 p.m.
• Sundays: 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
• Monday, December 18-Wednesday, December 20: 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
• Thanksgiving, November 23 & Christmas Eve, December 24: 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
COMPENSATION – Starting at $12 per hour + tips
HIRE DATE – October 2023
START DATE: November 2023
• Support staff for multiple outdoor beverage service locations
• Maintain proper temperature and distribution of all draught beer and wine at RiverEdge
Park. Includes moving and changing beer kegs (50 liters).
• Stock all beverage stations with ice and product as needed
• Ability to advise on and coordinate the delivery of all beverage service needs
• Assist with pouring beer and beverage prep as needed
• Successfully manage pre-event beverage station preparation timeline
• Successfully manage post-event beverage station breakdown and load out
• Other duties as assigned
• Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of and adhere to the Paramount Theatre and
RiverEdge Park Guidelines and Regulations
In addition to the duties listed above, ACCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to ACCA’s policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets productivity standards; participates in ACCA events as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES –
• Positive attitude and the ability to work well alone and in a team environment
• Handle high stress outdoor environment during the summer months
• Be proactive in maintaining high level of beverage service
• Work in a fast-paced environment in conditions such as loud noise and low lighting
• Be able to work outside in all varieties of weather including low temperatures, snow, ice,
and rain (Some cold weather clothing provided by employer. Employee is responsible for
providing all other cold weather clothing they wish to wear).
• Available for inconsistent and late-night hours, including weekends and some holidays
• Able to maneuver 160 lb kegs safely and efficiently
• Prolonged standing, lifting, stopping, bending and twisting for extended periods of time
• Previous hospitality & beverage service experience preferred
• Be on your feet for several hours
• Must be at least 21 years old
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume using the online job application at
Or mail/drop off to: Aurora Civic Center Authority, ATTN: Dawn King, 8 E Galena Blvd, Suite
230, Aurora, IL 60506
ACCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability status, marital or familial status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACCA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who are eager to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
ACCA participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, ACCA is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any
action against you, including terminating the employment. Employers can only use E-Verify
once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.