Production Assistant/Wardrobe Run Crew
Albany Park Theater Project seeks
Production Assistant/Wardrobe Run Crew (PAID)
First Rehearsal: Nov 4th, 2019
Opening: Nov 22nd, 2019
Closing: Jan 25th, 2020
Albany Park Theater Project (APTP) seeks to hire a smart, fun, and friendly Production Assistant/Wardrobe Run Crew to support our workshop production of our newest work in development Port of Entry, an immersive theater performance being created collaboratively by APTP and Third Rail Projects.
APTP and ‘Port of Entry’
APTP is a 21-year-old company, creating new works focused on issues of social justice with an ensemble of dedicated teens from Albany Park and a team of talented professional designers and directors. They are one of the country’s preeminent youth theater ensembles and recipient of a prestigious MacArthur Award. ‘Port of Entry’ is APTPs second collaboration with Third Rail Projects (‘Then She Fell’ in NYC), a Bessie Award-winning dance-theater company at the forefront of immersive and site-specific theater. This multi-year collaboration will explore a century of immigration history in Albany Park, one of the most culturally diverse neighborhoods in the United States, and the home making practices of the people who have lived here. Port of Entry will combine the power of immersive, site-specific and youth-created theater in a new work that fosters empathy, promotes mutual understanding, and most importantly, implicates and empowers its audience.
The Production Assistant (PA) will be part of the Stage Management/Run Crew team of this non-traditional performance. They may interact with audience as themselves or as characters in the world of the performance (no acting experience necessary). The PA will work in a support role, providing assistance to Stage Manager/ASM, Production Manager, Directors, and Company Management as needed. Duties will require some physical activity, and PA may be asked to climb ladders and/or carry heavy items.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable and confident in audience interactions including moving groups of people, and giving visual and verbal instructions. They will work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment, are comfortable working with teens, and are self-motivated with a positive attitude. Applicants should be detail oriented, organized, and able to keep track of precise prop resets and precise timing when moving through the performance. The role of Production Assistant is a blend of assistant stage management, run crew and customer service skills.
Duties of Production Assistant/ Wardrobe Run Crew include:
- Assisting Company Manager with daily needs such as meal orders, set-up and clean up, and maintaining a clean, organized, and well-stocked work environment.
- Setup, maintenance, and break down of non-performance spaces (meeting spaces, company green room, dressing rooms, backstage, lobby, etc.), and maintaining productive working atmosphere
- Photographing and Video Recording rehearsals for archival purposes (equipment provided)
- Running audio in rehearsals and taking notes for Stage Manager and Production Manager
- Wardrobe Run Crew:
- Working with Costume Team to organize and prep costumes for ensemble
- Tracking of all costume pieces throughout run
- Minor costume and accessory repairs or mid-show problem solving
- Weekly: drop off and pick up of laundry at Laundromat/dry cleaners for cleaning
- Ironing and daily care as needed
- As needed: use APTP vehicle to run errands for Production Team or Company Manager, or to pick up/drop off team members or ensemble
- Prepare and organize backstage and performance spaces before and during rehearsals
- Presets and Resets of props, costumes, lighting and/or sound throughout rehearsals and performances.
- Assist in shut down of space including sweeping, taking out garbage, tidying spaces, shutting off lights and locking up.
- Participate as needed in production meetings and notes sessions
- Participate in and contribute to the overall positive energy and spirit of the production and the theater company
- POSSIBLY: rehearse and perform a minor role in the immersive world of “Port of Entry” interacting directly with audience members or to move them from one experience and space to another
- Additional assignments to assist the production, stage management, and house management staff
• As Production Assistants must blend into the world of a performance with a cast of teenagers, we are specifically seeking candidates who can play teenager to mid-twenties.
- Must be 21+ years old
• Be available for rehearsal and performance dates on the following page (please include any conflicts with application)
• Resume of prior experience in stage management, performing, customer service, and/or prior experience working in customer service in any field.
• Interested in and comfortable working with youth performers.
• Fast learner; Comfortable in a fast-paced process.
- Able to move quickly through the space, lift and carry heavy items, & climb ladders as needed.
Paid as a w9 independent contractor. Weekly rehearsal rate and weekly performance rate each based on $15/hr, including expected pre and post rehearsal calls and tech bonus. To be set with consideration of conflicts. Payment biweekly by check or direct deposit.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, ethnicity, creed, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, citizenship status, military service and/or marital status, order of protection status, handicap, disability, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state, or local statutes. As an organization devoted advancing racial equity and to amplifying the voices of marginalized communities, and particularly of immigrant communities, Albany Park Theater Project is dedicated to building a diverse team of artists and administrators.
Send a cover letter expressing your qualifications and interest in the Port of Entry project as well as a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Production Assistant: Your Name” in the subject line. Please also include any conflicts you may have with the rehearsal/performance schedule as outlined below. Review of applications begins immediately.
Rehearsal & Performance Schedule (PA is called 30mins before rehearsal and up to 30mins after):
(opportunity to start earlier if available)
Nov 4-7: 5-9p
Nov 8: 11a-7:00p
Nov 9: 10:30a-6:30p
Nov 10: 10:30a-5:30p
Nov 12-13: 5-9p
TECH (Tech week may include additional pre/post rehearsal time in prep for opening. Tech bonus included in compensation.)
Nov 14: 11a-7:00p
Nov 15: 5-9p
Nov 16: 10:30a-6:30p
Nov 17: 10:30a-5:30p
Nov 19: 5-9p
Nov 20-21: 5-10p
Nov 22: 5-11pm
December 4th – 21st
January 10th -25th (Pick-up rehearsals Jan 8th & 9th, 5-9pm)
Wed & Thurs: 7:30pm Performance (est call 5:45-9:45pm)
Fri: 8pm Performance (est call 6:15-10:15pm)
Sat: 4pm & 8pm Performances (est call 2:15-10:15pm with provided meal and meal break)