South Side Suzuki Cooperative (SSSC) is seeking to hire a pianist to join our dynamic and growing musical community. This new faculty member will accompany SSSC’s weekly group classes as well as numerous recitals and masterclasses throughout the academic year. The faculty will also develop and build our new piano program. This includes a private piano studio, piano group classes, and a secondary piano class for string students. A strong background in performance and pedagogy is crucial; familiarity with string repertoire is a plus.
SSSC is an L3C that is cooperatively managed by our faculty and serve approximately 60 students from across the south side. We currently provide violin, viola, and cello education. Faculty manage their own private studios, and collaborate on group classes, performances, and other programming. Our group classes are held at the University of Chicago’s Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts in Hyde Park. Hilary Butler, J. Andrew Miller are the current owners/directors.
A successful candidate will:
- - Be an enthusiastic, dedicated, and creative teaching artist who views education as integral to his/her career plans
- - Hold a BA or BM in music, music education, or piano performance. Masters Degree and further pedagogy training is a plus.
- - Be an accomplished performer and accompanist.
- - Have received a minimum of Every Child Can! and Piano Book 1 training through the Suzuki Association of the Americas, or be willing to complete this training in the very near future.
- - Have strong administrative skills and an interest in co-managing the program.
- - Be willing to put in significant time and effort to help build a piano program.
- - Be able to commit to teaching and growing a studio in the Hyde Park area for at least 2 years.
- - Group Class/Rehearsals: $30/hr
- - Student/Faculty Recital: $70/performance
- - Studio/Group Recitals: $100/performance
- - The new faculty member will set his/her own private lesson rates.
- - Piano group classes rate: $50/hr
New faculty member must be available for private lessons in Hyde Park or a nearby south side neighborhood. If the successful candidate does not already have studio space in the area, we will work with him/her to secure a space. The new faculty member will also need to be available for a planning meeting once a month, scheduled at the mutual convenience of the faculty. Piano teachers with existing studios are welcome to apply.
To apply for this position please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com