Managing Editor & Special Projects Coordinator in Chicago
We are hiring a talented full-time managing editor to help write and edit the majority of articles appearing on Colossal as well as oversee a small number of contributing writers during the week. This role will also assist with the production of large-scale special events & exhibitions, work on occasional brand partnerships, and offer input and direction on various Colossal projects, both internal and external.
This is an on-site position in Chicago’s Ravenswood neighborhood starting this fall.
Duties & Responsibilities
– Managing assignments from our editor-in-chief, delegating work to
contributing writers, and management of our editorial calendar.
– Writing daily articles and subsequent syndication on our various social media platforms.
– Communicating with artists, galleries, museums, advertising partners, and press outlets to obtain imagery, assorted media permissions, and occasional interviews.
– Writing and editing email newsletters.
– Attend occasional openings, events, and in-person meetings as a representative of Colossal.
– The potential of light travel 2-3 times a year.
Qualifications & Skills
– Strong written communication skills, including social media.
– A strong understanding and background in visual art and culture, preferably outside of the commercial art world.
– A demonstrated interest in online writing and journalism.
– Comfortable working as part of a very small team.
– Extremely organized and motivated to work in a self-directed capacity at length.
– A basic familiarity with Photoshop and email marketing software.
Please send a resume and cover letter that explains your interest in Colossal and details about previous experience in working in art, journalism, or related fields to email@example.com. Please also include links to 2-3 published writing samples.