At Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, we bring artists, art and audiences together to enrich, engage, and changes lives through the experience of dance. Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is home to the premier contemporary dance company in the United States, the largest dance facility in Chicago, and serves the community through youth, education and community engagement programs, and adaptive dance programs that serve thousands across the Chicago area.
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (HSDC) seeks an experienced Head Electrician. Reporting to the Director of Production, the Head Electrician is a key member of the production department. Hubbard Street Dance performs in Chicago approximately three to twelve times a year in addition to touring nationally and internationally. The ideal Head Electrician candidate can work collaboratively with the artistic and production leadership to ensure consistent artistic quality.
Working under the IATSE Local 2 collective bargaining agreement, the Head Electrician will join a Unit Team of Head Carpenter/Steward, Stage Manager/Head of Props, and Head of Audio. Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is a yellow-card engagement. This position is seasonal/part time.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the Director of Production and fellow Unit crew in the preparations and execution of lighting, atmospherics, and special effects for Company programs.
- Determine the safety and feasibility of all lighting production in coordination with the Director of Production and Head Carpenter.
- Supervise electrician team members at both union and non-union venues, leading lighting hangs, focus calls, cueing sessions, maintenance calls, work calls, technical rehearsals, performances, changeovers, and strike calls.
- Engineering and orchestrating hanging and cabling plans; prepping load-in plots and supporting paperwork.
- Rigging duties may include safely rigging electrified scenic elements and program-specific lighting positions.
- Responsible for maintenance of all lighting and effects equipment.
- Program and operate the Company’s ETC ION console for all programs.
- Maintain inventory of all technology, lighting equipment, accessories, expendables, and equipment cases.
- Archive lighting show files for all Company repertoire.
- Coordinate with Director of Production ordering capital purchases, supplies, and expendables for the lighting department.
- Assist with shop orders for vendor rentals.
- With the IATSE crew, local labor, and/or Teamsters, load and unload semis and box trucks for all Company performances.
- Follow all OSHA, state mandated, and venue safety guidelines to create a safe workplace.
- Safely and regularly use standard shop equipment such as power tools, hand tools, personal protective equipment, and electrical equipment.
- Attend production meetings as scheduled by Director of Production.
- Other duties as deemed appropriate.
- Hubbard Street gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Professional experience as a stage electrician required, with priority to candidates who specialize in the theater or dance environment. Bachelor’s degree in theater arts, or comparable work experience as an entertainment electrician preferred.
- Desired certifications/experience: USITT eSet Basic Terms & Safety and Lighting & Electrics Certificates; ETCP entertainment electrician certification, or other professional certifications from a leading lighting manufacturer.
- Domestic and international touring experience.
- Involvement working in a union environment.
- Skilled at leading and managing union and non-union electrician crews through load in, focus, technical rehearsals, changeovers, work calls, and load out.
- Proficiency in Vectorworks Spotlight and Lightwright.
- Demonstrable experience programming ETC consoles with both conventional and moving light fixtures.
- Working knowledge of lighting networking protocols.
- Seasoned experience in all elements of stagecraft.
- Experience in researching, purchasing, renting, value-engineering, and/or repairing lighting and effects equipment.
- Flexibility and a “team player” sensibility and committed to creating a collegiate culture.
- The ability to work productively, graciously, and in an organized manner under strict time constraints, as well as face demanding situations with tenacity and sensitivity.
- Excitement to creatively troubleshoot challenges.
- Superior relationship building and interpersonal skills that allow the individual to function in a variety of settings among widely different groups of artists and stage professionals.
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy loads up to 50 lbs., stand/sit for long periods of time, and safely work from varying heights on ladders, catwalks, or aerial lifts.
- Valid passport required for both domestic and international travel.
- Evening, weekend, and irregular hours are required.
To apply please send a cover letter, resume, and professional references (.pdfs only) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, September 3, 2019. Please include HEAD ELECTRICIAN in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in all areas of the organization’s work.