At Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (HSDC), we bring artists, art and audiences together to enrich, engage and changes lives through the experience of dance. Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is home to the premier contemporary dance company in the United States, the largest dance facility in Chicago, and serves the community through youth, education and community engagement programs, and adaptive dance programs that serve thousands across the Chicago area.
HSDC seeks an experienced Head Carpenter. Reporting to the Director of Production, the Head Carpenter is a key member of the production department. HSDC performs in Chicago approximately three to twelve times a year in addition to touring nationally and internationally. The ideal Head Carpenter candidate can work collaboratively with the artistic and production leadership to ensure consistent artistic quality.
Working under the IATSE Local 2 collective bargaining agreement, the Head Carpenter will join a Unit Team of Stage Manager/Head of Props, Head Electrician and Head of Audio; as well as a non-union Head of Wardrobe. HSDC is a yellow-card engagement. This position is seasonal/part time.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with the Director of Production and fellow Unit crew in the preparations and execution of scenery, softgoods, and rigging for Company programs.
- Determine the safety and feasibility of all scenery and lighting needs in coordination with the Director of Production and Head Electrician.
- Supervise crews at both union and non-union venues, leading truck calls, load-ins, work calls, maintenance calls,
- technical rehearsals, performances, changeovers, and strike calls.
- Rigging duties include safely rigging scenic elements and program specific softgoods.
- Oversee the build of scenic elements for new productions; perform maintenance on existing scenery for Company productions and rentals.
- Responsible for maintenance and inventory of all tools, shop equipment and Company softgoods.
- Archive run sheets, rail cue files and lineset schedules for all Company programs.
- Coordinate with Director of Production ordering capital purchases, supplies, and expendables for the shop.
- Assist with shop orders for vendor rentals.
- With the IATSE crew, local labor, and/or Teamsters, load and unload semis and box trucks for all Company performances.
- Follow all OSHA, state mandated, and venue safety guidelines to create a safe workplace.
- Safely and regularly use standard shop equipment such as power tools, hand tools, personal protective equipment, and rigging equipment.
- Attend production meetings as scheduled by Director of Production.
- Other duties as deemed appropriate.
- Hubbard Street gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Professional experience as a stage carpenter required, with priority to candidates who specialize in the theater or dance environment.
- Desired certifications/experience: OSHA 10, ETCP Rigger - Theater
- Domestic and international touring experience.
- Skilled at leading and managing union and non-union crews through load in, technical rehearsals, changeovers, work calls, and load out.
- Demonstrable experience in carpentry, rigging, and fly systems.
- Seasoned experience in all elements of stagecraft.
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite, Vectorworks, and/or AutoCAD.
- Experience in researching, purchasing, renting, value-engineering, and/or repairing tools and production equipment.
- Flexibility and a “team player” sensibility and committed to creating a collegiate culture.
- The ability to work productively, graciously, and in an organized manner under strict time constraints, as well as face demanding situations with tenacity and sensitivity.
- Excitement to creatively troubleshoot challenges.
- Superior relationship building and interpersonal skills that allow the individual to function in a variety of settings among widely different groups of artists and stage professionals.
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy loads up to 50 lbs., stand/sit for long periods of time, and safely work from varying heights on ladders, catwalks, or aerial lifts.
- Valid passport required for both domestic and international travel.
- Evening, weekend, and irregular hours are required.
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in all areas of the organization’s work.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and professional references (.pdfs only) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, October 21, 2019.
Please include HEAD CARPENTER in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.