General Music Teaching Artist - North Side
For over 40 years The People's Music School has brought the transformative benefits of music to the lives of over 10,000 children across Chicago. We serve children in grades K - 12 who otherwise would not be able to afford music education. Our mission is to deliver access to the benefits of high-quality, tuition-free music education. Through intensive instruction and performance, our students achieve excellence in music that transfers to other areas in life. They grow musically, socially, emotionally and intellectually, and develop a foundation of responsibility, self-esteem, resilience and purpose.
The People’s Music School is seeking GENERAL MUSIC teaching artists for its Uptown Academy Chicago site. The teaching artist will be responsible for providing instruction for elementary-aged students and delivering a curriculum that includes elements of theory, individual performance, ensemble performance, improvisation, and composition.
- Deliver high-quality instruction to students in Grades K-5.
- Provide assessment of students’ musical and behavioral progress
- Act as a mentor to each student and create positive rapport with students and their families
- Collaborate with families, administrative staff, and other faculty
- Timely correspondence with Program Manager, school staff, and families
- Active participation in faculty meetings, adjudication of juries, and student performances
The General Music Teaching Artist reports to the Program Manager.
- Minimum level of education required is a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in music education or performance
- Ability to work during specified program hours
- Mondays and Wednesdays 4:30-5:30 pm
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 4:00-5:00 pm
- Self-motivated and ability to work effectively in a busy school environment
- Prior experience teaching specified instrument to children of different ages and ability levels a plus
- Ability to work effectively with children from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds
- Knowledge of appropriate repertoire for students
- A high level of personal musicianship and professionalism
- Bilingual Spanish/English a plus
- Ability to clear a comprehensive background check
- Belief in our transformative mission
- Demonstrate a commitment to TPMS core values
- Base rates range from $43-$60 per hour based on class type.
For more information about The People’s Music School, please visit: www.peoplesmusicschool.org.
People’s Music School does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, veteran status, physical or mental disability or any other protected status in admission or access to, or employment in its programs and activities.