Gallery Director for the SAA Collective
The Springfield Art Association seeks a Director for the SAA Collective Gallery located in the Hoogland Center for the Arts in downtown Springfield, Illinois. The SAA Collective is a member gallery representing 84 artists from across central Illinois who have been juried into membership. The SAA Collective is a division of the Springfield Art Association (SAA). The SAA is a not-for-profit organization and is Springfield’s Community Visual Arts organization with classes, exhibitions, events, and programs for all ages.
The Gallery Director position is full time, Monday through Friday from 9 to 5 pm with some evening and weekends required for receptions and events.
- The Gallery Director will oversee and manage all operations of the gallery, including exhibition planning, preparing jury panels, artist contracts, inventory management, exhibition documentation, artist management, and sales.
- Supervise, schedule and train all gallery assistants and volunteers.
- Market and promote the gallery and related events in all formats including but not limited to press releases, social media, and print promotional material.
- Market and manage the gallery artists by promoting and marketing their work for sale including representing them on the Artsy.net marketplace.
- Manage and maintain, with the support of the gallery assistants, the Gallery related elements of the SAA website.
- Work in partnership with member artists, SAA staff, SAA Board of Directors, volunteers, patrons and collectors.
- Work in partnership with the Gallery Committee Chair to lead the Gallery committee in their annual duties.
- Work with SAA Office Manager on all accounting and database maintenance.
- Work with the Treasurer to create and adhere to an annual budget for gallery operations.
- Work with the events committee on all gallery related fundraising events and activities.
- Sit on and support several other SAA committees including, Exhibitions, Marketing and Membership, Finance, and Long-Range Planning.
- Manage several small unmanned exhibition spaces within the Hoogland Center for the Arts.
- Provide professional and creative support for artist members.
BA or BFA in Studio Arts, Art History or Design. MFA is an asset.
At least three years of experience in gallery, retail sales, or the service industry which includes customer service and cash management experience.
Exhibition curatorial and installation experience.
Art handling and art shipping experience.
Strong communications skills, both written and verbal.
Strong customer service skills.
Website maintenance, marketing, and social media skills.
Basic accounting and database entry skills
Physical and Special Requirements
Moving artwork, pedestals and arranging lighting regularly requires basic fitness and an ability to lift as much as 50 pounds.
Candidates should be comfortable with heights 6 – 10 feet on a standard ladder.
Some evenings and weekends are required for gallery coverage, exhibition receptions, and events.
Travel to the SAA campus main campus, about one mile, will be required regularly for meetings.
Starting salary range: $30,000 – $37,500.
Compensation will be determined based on the successful candidate's level of experience.
The position includes some flexibility in hours, medical insurance, two weeks of paid vacation, sick leave, and a simple IRA retirement plan.
Springfield Art Association is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Betsy Dollar at email@example.com no later than July 25, 2019.