Finance & Human Resources Administrator - Experimental Station
The Experimental Station fosters a dynamic ecology of innovative educational and cultural programs, small business enterprises and community initiatives. Since 2006, we have both built our own programming to address local needs and have fostered, hosted, and sponsored many other initiatives. Current programs include Blackstone Bicycle Works, Link Up Illinois, 61st Street Farmers Market, small business incubation, and public arts and cultural events. We are currently seeking a Finance/Human Resources Administrator who will be central to supporting our business health and employee wellbeing as we grow.
Finance/HR Administrator Position Objective
A successful Finance/HR Admin will keep all of Experimentals Station’s bookkeeping in working order and will be responsible for many facets of the employee experience within ES. This position has the unique opportunity to understand where the organization stands day to day financially and will help future planning as well.
The Development Associate will work in collaboration with and report directly to the Executive Director.
This position also works closely with the Assistant Director, Communications Associate and Development Associate, but interacts with many different people across the organization.
The Finance/HR Administrator’s duties include:
- Proper recording of all ES revenues and purchases in Quickbooks Pro
- Reimbursing and tracking EBT sales for farmers markets
- Printing checks for payment of bills and issuing invoices for services rendered
- Researching billing questions
- Assisting with preparation of programmatic budgets
- Compiling financial information to report to funders, donors and corporate partners
- Tracking status of matching grant campaigns
- Assisting with fiscal sponsorship administration
- Assisting with annual financial/organizational audit
- Reconciling bank accounts & credit card
- Creating reports for Blackstone Bicycle Works program - monthly sales/inventory etc.
Human Resources Administration
- Providing payroll administration for full time/part time/contractors
- Providing human resources administration (health insurance, direct deposit, unemployment, workers comp, vacation, retirement)
- Coordinating with insurance and other benefits brokers, set up trainings and annual audits
- Guiding and managing hiring, onboarding and exit processes
- Planning annual retreat and staff bonding activities throughout the year
- Researching, proposing and implementing improvements to benefit offerings
- Drafting new/revised HR policies and procedures
- Keeping organization up to date on proper HR practices, with constant eye towards DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion)
- Assisting with development of organization-wide systems and procedures
- Keeping ES business records/computer files in good order
- Assisting with event coordination and bookings
- Leading tours of the building occasionally
- Communicate clearly, with a detailed understanding of ES mission and goals
- Multitask and meet deadlines
- Proficiently use Quickbooks, Excel and Google Suite, especially Google Sheets
- Maintain the confidentiality of privileged information
- Commit to help generate resources for programs serving underrepresented communities
- Finance, office administration, human resources, small business ownership, or nonprofit management experience a plus
- Proficiency in Quickbooks Pro and Excel are a must
- Database platforms such as Salesforce and HR management software experience is a plus, but training is also available
This is a full-time position with a salary of $42-44k commensurate with experience. It comes with 50% employer contributed health and dental insurance, and with 7 personal days, 6 holidays, and vacation days added annually.
We welcome people with a wide range of skills and experiences to apply. To apply, visit experimentalstation.org/jobs. The deadline is Monday, July 1 at 11:59pm.
While the first floor of Experimental Station is ADA accessible as are the restrooms, the offices are on a non-ADA accessible second floor. The position also requires sitting for long periods of time, and occasional lifting.