Job Title: Experience Guide
Position Type: Part-time, non-exempt (includes weekend and evening hours)
Reports to: House Manager
Compensation: $13/hour, 20-30 hrs per week
Start Date: Orientation week of October 6th, training begins week of October 7th, opens October 24th
About the Project
Hebru Brantley is a Chicago artist known for creating narrative-driven work revolving around his unique characters. Brantley utilizes these characters to address complex ideas around nostalgia, power, and hope.
Hebru Brantley’s Angry Hero and MWM Universe (MWMu), are partnering to create Nevermore Park, a neo-futuristic take on Chicago—where black culture and heroes are at the forefront. Visitors to Nevermore Park will be transported into the fictional hometown of Hebru’s iconic characters: Flyboy and Lil Mama. The immersive art experience spans nearly 6,000 square feet and is scheduled to open in the fall of this year. From the imagination of Hebru Brantley, this experience is the beginning phase of a larger Flyboy Universe franchise being built by MWMu and Angry Hero.
Experience Guides are the backbone of Nevermore Park. They will guide visitors through the Nevermore art experience, embodying Empowerment Over Power. Experience Guides are self-motivated while working within a team, can energize a crowd, can meet visitors where they are and connect with people on their individual journey. The best people for this team will thrive in unique, flexible settings, and take pride in working in a non-traditional artistic environment and can imagine a world with No Limits where Art is for Everyone.
Experience Guides will train across various front of house responsibilities including Box Office, Coat Check and Exhibit Space. They will connect with visitors and encourage them to explore and choose their own adventure from the moment visitors enter Nevermore.
We are excited to find candidates for whom Hebru’s work and spirit is meaningful, and who will be driven to help make a smooth, efficient, and fun experience for both audience and fellow staff.
Specific Scope of Work
- Act as main point of contact for visitors throughout their time at Nevermore Park
- Cross train on all front of house responsibilities including box office, coat check, gift shop, and as the main guides in several key positions throughout the space
- Ensure a positive experience throughout all stages of Nevermore Park
- Engage with visitors to capture social media-worthy photos and facilitate safe flow in between rooms
- Participate in the visitors’ curiosity and enjoyment of their surroundings
- Prepare and break down the space each day to provide safe, clean, and positive visitor experiences exited
- Other duties based on the role the Guide is scheduled for that day
Qualifications & Skills
We are looking for you, if you are:
- A team player with a positive attitude and an interest in immersing yourself in the world of Nevermore
- Someone who learns quickly and enjoys handling multiple tasks in a flexible and everchanging work environment
- Friendly and personable; you enjoy engaging with strangers and meeting new people
- A gifted and imaginative storyteller
- Looking for a job in a positive artistic work environment
- Capable of providing excellent customer services to individuals regardless of identity, experience and ability; focused on treating everyone with respect and dignity
- Capable of following through on responsibilities in a trustworthy manner, communicating with supervisors, and being respectful of other team members
- Someone with an interest in performance or visual art is a plus, but not required
- Someone who is familiar with street art, art history, or Hebru’s work is a plus, but not required
- Someone with experience in performance or theatrical front of house roles is a plus, but not required
- Someone with experience with POS or ticketing systems is a plus, but not required
- Interested in and passionate about expanding access to Chicago arts and culture to new audiences
- Bilingual a plus (but not required)
Nevermore Park, LLC is committed to building a dynamic work environment that celebrates individuality and diversity and the principles that promote inclusive practices. Nevermore Park does not discriminate in policy, practice or employment opportunities on the basis of an individual’s race, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by federal, state or local regulations. Individuals from populations underrepresented in the arts/theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume (including 2-3 references) to Chris Zamiar, House Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org.