Director of Sales and Marketing
Chicago Sinfonietta, the nation’s most diverse orchestra, has an exciting open position for a full-time Director of Sales & Marketing.
About Chicago Sinfonietta
Now in its 32nd year, Chicago Sinfonietta has pushed artistic boundaries to provide an alternative way of hearing, seeing and thinking about a symphony orchestra and is dedicated to promoting diversity, inclusion, racial and cultural equity in the arts. Each concert experience blends inventive new works with classical masterworks, each from a diverse array of voices, to entertain, transform and inspire. Chicago Sinfonietta has made it their mission to represent the city of Chicago, reflecting that vibrancy on stage and in their programming, making classical music accessible for anyone.
This full-time position is responsible for planning and supervising all activities related to ticket sales and other earned revenue development as well as delivering the Sinfonietta’s brand, promotions, public relations, patron relationships, sponsorship and any additional support for the organization’s artistic, education and community programs and initiatives, consistent with Board of Director policies and long-range objectives.
By developing and implementing an integrated, strategic marketing plan and guiding overall brand and sales strategies for the institution, the Director of Sales and Marketing plays a critical role in developing new, diverse audiences, and retaining our current subscribers and stakeholders.
• Oversee organization’s strategy and objectives to achieve aggressive earned revenue goals including subscriptions, single ticket sales, and group sales.
• Create, manage, and execute all marketing strategies to build greater brand awareness and to drive attendance through high quality content development, social media, innovative uses of digital platforms, innovative creative, and other methods as identified
• Create and manage marketing department expense budget and revenue goals including subscriptions, single ticket sales, and group sales
• Analyze sales and patron data and use effective market research to help refine sales and marketing strategies
• Participate in meetings and negotiations with media partners, sponsors, and outside vendors (printer, mail house, list management, PR firm, etc.)
• Project manage department initiatives, goals, objectives, and timelines
• Provide strategic direction and oversight of all online, social media, and web-interactive activities
• Support the development team to align on donor relationship initiatives
• Supervise marketing support staff, Box Office, communications, public relations, and content and digital communications, and provide creative direction for graphic designers
• Advise the Board and executive staff on sales and marketing strategies, opportunities, and challenges
Manage annual subscription renewals and acquisition including:
• Develop both a retention strategy and new acquisition sales strategy for subscriptions, on various channels to achieve annual sales goal, working with CRM and Box Office
• Oversee and lead the creation of renewal materials including brochure, season previews, letters, etc.
• Manage mailings, telemarketing, outbound sales, digital communication, and all other outreach efforts and Patron Communications
• Track and report progress towards earned revenue goals to board and executive staff, presenting periodic reports to measure new vs. returning SUBs, trends, etc.
Manage single ticket revenue strategies and programmatic marketing including:
• Create and implement informed strategies to meet and exceed single ticket sales targets, including campaigns to upsell previous single ticket buyers and also acquire new ticket sales and attendance
• Develop and implement strategies to maximize sales of tickets to groups such as corporations, schools, churches and business associations. Group ticket sales involve proactive strategies for reaching prospective buyers, cultivation of new groups, and development of positive relationships with clients.
• Oversee and manage the creation and distribution of all collateral (postcards/mailings, concert posters, program book, student concert notes, flyers, etc.)
• Oversee digital communication strategy and implementation (social media, eblasts, etc.)
• Oversee the creation of advertising materials and due dates (print, digital, media, etc.)
• Create and distribute personalized marketing toolkits for each concert as well as following up with new patrons to cultivate new single ticket buyers, subscribers, donors, etc.
• Work with PR firm, managing press releases and materials for season announcement, concerts, events, and other organization news
• Oversee the creation and distribution of post-concert audience surveys
Support CS Development department, sponsorship, and fundraising efforts including:
• Work with development team to create sales strategies to increase both ticket and fundraising revenue
• Support and coordinate design of collateral for various fundraising campaigns (sponsorship decks, invites, signage, event program books, etc.) and digital communications (eblasts, web pages, etc.)
• Coordinating sponsorship benefit fulfillment
• Oversee and maintain website including keeping up-to-date on good SEO practice, Google ads, Google Analytics, and other tools
• Support the marketing needs of CS’s broad education and outreach programs
• Attend and support all CS concerts
• Attend all Board meetings and prepare materials as needed (annual meeting, reports, presentations, etc.)
• Support the activities of the CS board, Associate Board, and Friend groups
Applicants should have a commitment to the arts and an interest in Chicago Sinfonietta’s mission. This individual should have sales and marketing experience in a non-profit, arts environment, excellent proven writing and verbal communication skills. Experience in a sales management role is highly desirable.
Creative production and design are an important component of this role. Strong proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite is required, and other applicable programs, as well as in Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with Salesforce and digital reporting are preferred, as well as direct experience with analytics, SEO, and other tools.
Ability to work in a highly collaborative, team setting and willingness to work a flexible schedule with minimum supervision is also required. Occasional participation in evening and weekend community events is expected. A good sense of humor is how we get through our days. CS needs someone who is ready to jump in right away and help this small but mighty team accomplish its goals. The Sinfonietta is a special place to work and we look forward to adding a new member to our team!
A BA degree is required, MA preferred; 5 years of sales management or related experience is preferred; or a combination of sales and marketing.
Application Deadline: Position open until hired. Available immediately.
Compensation: Based on experience
Please follow submission directions closely: Please submit cover letter with salary requirements, along with a resume and applicable marketing and design samples (portfolio, sales results, etc) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic submissions only. Absolutely no phone calls are accepted.
Chicago Sinfonietta is deeply committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable working environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.