Director of Production
The Director of Production is responsible for managing all production operations of the company, including planning, budgeting, supervising technical production activities and personnel, and final execution of all production activities of the season. The Director of Production is a key member of the Chicago Opera Theater (“COT”) senior management team and actively participates in strategic planning, maintenance of production standards, and planning of future seasons.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as a primary liaison to each production’s technical staff, designers and their managers, and costume, scenic, properties, and electrics teams
- Oversee stage management throughout rehearsal and production periods
- Act as primary liaison with performance venue management and personnel
- Oversee each production’s design team
- Assess all production designs, providing budget projections and timelines for their implementation
- Participate in the creation of rehearsal schedule with the artistic department, create and maintain technical production calendar, and supervise theater activity
- Oversee, with the Technical Director, the delivery, installation, and removal of all production elements in and out of rehearsal and performance venues
- Maintain compliance with production health and safety requirements, and work with Managing Director to establish appropriate production insurance requirements
- Supply feasibility recommendations on future performance venues
- Coordinate, along with the Technical Director, with any co-producing companies on technical and logistical aspects of production design, transport, and venue specifications
- Oversee the preparation and/or rental of projected supertitles
- Create and manage technical production budgets and expense projections
- Oversee production expense tracking and reporting, ensuring cost controls
- Accurately communicate budget variances to General Director and Managing Director
- Manage contract agreements with performance venues with General Director, and negotiate contracts with production vendors
- Identify production rentals and assist with negotiation and administering of co-production & rental contracts
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects in a production environment and to deal proactively with company requirements
- Experience in the field of opera and/or musical theater technical direction and administration
- Experience creating and overseeing a budget
- Understanding of theater techniques and processes, including industry safety standards
- Experience with contracting, working with union crews & contractors, and interpreting union agreements. COT works with AGMA, AFM, IATSE, and USA
- Knowledge in all areas of scenic, properties, and costume construction
- Ability to interpret stage and lighting plots
- Highly self-motivated with leadership qualities; an effective team player
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Interest and connections in the Chicago theater community; national and international Opera industry a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred
- Ability to work nights and weekends during productions and special events
- Ability to help with various COT set-ups; may be expected to lift or move boxes weighing up to 25 pounds.
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), immigrants, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary range is $60,000 - $65,000 annually plus health, dental, and vision insurance; paid vacation, holidays, sick and personal days; paid family leave; life insurance; flexible & remote work options; 403(b) plan; complimentary tickets; and other benefits. Relocation assistance available for out-of-town candidates. Salary is commensurate with experience. Position is full-time salaried, exempt.
Please let us know how you heard about this opportunity along with submitting a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.