Dance Teaching Artist
Mandala South Asian Performing Arts is seeking Dance Teaching Artists for Academy and Outreach programs in anticipation of the 2019-2020 school year and beyond.
Mandala South Asian Performing Arts is a MacArthur Award-winning organization based in Chicago, led by founder and Artistic Director Pranita Nayar. Mandala is committed to presenting rich traditions and contemporary innovations by artists from Persia to Indonesia, and street dance to Bharatanatyam. Nayar’s philosophy pushes fourth universal themes of global performing arts that uses storytelling at its base; Mandala strives to create an environment of understanding, cultural confidence and exchange.
- Planning detailed lessons for weekly, seasonal and sometimes year-long residencies with partnering schools, organizations, and the Academy.
- Signing contracts committing to classes of varying length, grade-level and enrollment numbers.
- Teaching students artistic curriculum specific to the Teaching Artist's discipline, culminating in student performances with Mandala Arts or partner organization.
- Adhering to specific contractual protocols on attendance and timeliness.
- Submitting to fingerprinting and background checks for each partnering organization to be cleared before placement in applicable classrooms.
- Working with Mandala Arts’ methodology and philosophy; participating in classes to shadow current teaching artists
- Being observed in classrooms intermittently by Mandala Arts staff
Experience and Education:
- Applicants should be practicing artists with a portfolio or body of work to present in conjunction with a resume detailing any relevant teaching experience or previous work with young people. A minimum of 2 years of teaching experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience with Asian Dance form preferred, experience with Bharatanatyam strongly preferred.
- A High School Diploma is required, and a Bachelor's or advanced degree is preferred; compensation is commensurate with education level and teaching experience.
- All candidates will be considered primarily on the basis of reliability, accountability and integrity combined with a passion for bringing the arts to classrooms in need of enriching artistic programs.
Teaching Artists are strongly motivated independent contractors who demonstrate tangible classroom management skills and an ability to properly address behavior issues among students. Transparent availability, scheduling flexibility and strong communication skills are required assets for this position. As representatives of Mandala Arts, artists are expected to be professional, prepared and prompt for all contracted classes. Mandala Arts reserves the right to terminate Teaching Artists from the active roster at any time if these standards are not upheld.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Only emailed applications will be considered.