United States Artists (USA) is currently seeking a full-time Communications Assistant responsible for supporting and implementing the communications strategic plan, including the brand and visual identity, printed and digital media, and internal and external messaging of the organization. This position entails organizing and editing various types of content, design implementation, and analytics/reporting. This position works alongside the Designer-in-Residence (PT), Social Media Coordinator (PT), and reports to the Communications Manager (FT).
USA is a national arts funding organization based in Chicago, IL. We raise money and redistribute it in the form of unrestricted awards to this country’s most compelling artists and cultural practitioners. Since our founding in 2006, we have awarded more than 500 individuals with over $25 million of direct support.
This individual is responsible for the following core duties:
• Copywriting and editing;
• Creating, amending, and updating design collateral as needed;
• Updating and maintaining the website, including tracking and reporting traffic;
• Executing and translating visual identity across multiple platforms such as social media, email newsletters, website, brochures, presentations, and event collateral;
• Assisting in managing social media editorial calendar, executing messaging, engaging with followers, and tracking/reporting analytics;
• Overseeing the production of email newsletters, maintaining a clean and organized subscriber list, and translating data into insights for improved engagement;
• Organizing and maintaining press kits for media;
• Adhering to strict deadlines and workflow processes;
• Organizing content such as images and copy for design projects;
• Working closely with various vendors to request quotes and track projects;
• Presenting ideas, offering solutions for growth, and contributing to the creative process;
• Representing USA’s mission, vision, values, and goals in person, online, and in print;
• Traveling to necessary and relevant conferences, symposiums, and convenings;
Taking on additional duties as required.
• Strong systems and analytical thinking;
• Excellent writing and design skills;
• Understanding of website and social media analytics, including SEO;
• Proficient in social media, Adobe Design Suite, and various email marketing and website builder platforms;
• Understanding of social media and marketing trends;
• Experience working with printers and other vendors;
• A passion for arts and culture;
• Experience working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
This individual may be the public’s first point of contact to USA and therefore must be someone with strong interpersonal and communication skills. The ability to troubleshoot, think creatively, and represent USA effectively, are key attributes. This individual will be an integral part of the team and must possess the following:
• Meticulous organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, manage budgets, and keep timely correspondence;
• A “team player” who understands the dynamics of working within a small, productive staff that is constantly dependent on and accountable to one another;
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills, including the means to address issues in a non-confrontational way, but nevertheless with determination; a track record as an effective communicator; the presence and credibility to serve as an effective spokesperson for USA;
• A “doer” with a willingness to work hands-on in developing and executing a variety of activities ranging from the internal day-to-day to the highly creative; an energetic, alert, hardworking person, able to take immediate action when necessary;
• Demonstrate maturity, curiosity, and a sense of humor; is at ease with collaborating both internally with staff and externally with public entities;
• Ability to work effectively with an incredibly diverse community.
COMMITMENT & COMPENSATION
This position is full-time and maintains 40 hours per week (Monday-Friday).
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Excellent employee benefit package, including health, life, disability, vision, and dental insurance per company policy; eligibility for other benefits, including the 403(b), holiday, sick, and vacation will take place per company policy.
To apply, please email the requested materials below in a single PDF to
email@example.com, and indicate “Communications Assistant” in the subject line. The deadline to apply is 5pm CST on July 5, 2019. Additionally, please email all inquiries to the same address. No calls, please.
• Cover Letter;
• Three professional references with contact information;
• EITHER one 500-word writing sample of your choice
• OR choose one USA Fellow and write a description of them/their practice for our website, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter;
• List of your 5 favorite Instagram accounts.
United States Artists (USA) is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination as an Equal Opportunity Employer. USA’s policy is to maintain and promote nondiscrimination regarding race, color, creed, national origin or ancestry, marital status, gender, physical or mental handicap unrelated to ability, sexual orientation, religion, political philosophy, unfavorable discharge from military service or age in all phases of employment practices and facilities in accordance with all applicable laws. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.