2020-2021 Chicago Center for Contemporary Composition Postdoctoral Researcher
The Chicago Center for Contemporary Composition in the Department of Music within the Division of the Humanities at the University of Chicago invites applications for CCCC Postdoctoral Researcher, a one-year, non-renewable appointment in Music Composition, expected to begin in Autumn 2020. This singular opportunity will allow a composer in the early stages of his or her career to gain unprecedented exposure and intellectual engagement in the dynamic setting of the University of Chicago's prestigious music composition program.
The successful candidate will be appointed as CCCC Postdoctoral Researcher with a one-year, non-renewable appointment at the rank of Instructor.
The Postdoctoral Researcher will teach a course in the University's undergraduate composition curriculum, teach composition lessons to undergraduate composers, and participate in the University, Department and Center's workshops, seminars, and colloquia. The Researcher will be given space, time, and resources to develop a new work for performance by the Center's professional ensemble-in-residence, the Grossman Ensemble. The Researcher will receive salary, benefits, and support for research projects. Position is contingent upon budgetary approval. The expected start date is 1 September 2020.
The successful candidate:
- will demonstrate, through the creative portfolio, mastery of craft and imagination as a composer
- will reveal, through the CV, robust creative output consistent with the early stages of an internationally prominent career
- will demonstrate, through the CV and syllabus, pedagogical preparation to teach contemporary composition techniques/aesthetics within a rigorous undergraduate liberal arts setting to students from a variety of backgrounds, including non-majors
- will propose, within the letter of application, a creative agenda for the residency that will enrich the intellectual life of the Department of Music and the broader University of Chicago
A PhD/DMA or equivalent is required.
Upload the following materials to The University of Chicago's Interfolio site, at the link, http://apply.interfolio.com/69277 :
- Letter of Application, addressed to CCCC Director Augusta Read Thomas
- A portfolio including documentation for 3 works (posted as a single PDF with links to web-hosted scores & recordings)
- A syllabus for an introductory, non-major course in composition
- Three letters of reference
Review of materials will begin on November 15, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled or the posting is closed.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-1032 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with their request.