The SPARK Microgrant is an annual, unrestricted award opportunity for Chicago-based visual artists who identify as ALAANA (African, Latinx, Asian, Arab, Native American), an artist with acute financial need, an artist with a disability, or as a self-taught/non-formally trained artist who does not hold a degree from an art program but has made their art practice a primary vocation.
This program offers fifteen unrestricted awards of $2000 each to recognize exceptional artists working in Chicago and to support the advancement of their artistic careers.
SPARK Microgrant is generously funded by the Joyce Foundation.
In addition to the unredstricted financial support, SPARK Microgrant winners will also have free access to a number FIELD/WORK professional development workshops throughout the year. More information about that will be provided at a later date.
Who Should Apply
This application is open to:
- Visual artists that identify as:
- ALAANA (African, Latinx, Asian, Arab, Native American)
- An artist with acute need (individual income less than $44,450/year, family income less than $63,200/year) facing urgent hardship
- An artist with a disability
- A self-taught/non-formally trained artist (an artist who does not hold a degree from an art program, but has made their art practice a primary vocation)
- Ideal candidates show significant promise and dedication towards the advancement of their career as a practicing artist.
Applicants must be:
- A resident of the City of Chicago
- At least 21 years old
- NOT enrolled in a degree-granting program after June 2019
Submissions will be evaluated by a jury panel of five artists and arts professionals.
SPARK Microgrant application can be found here.
Important Dates for 2018-2019
December 12: Information Session #1 (5:30-7:30 at Chicago Artists Coalition)
December 15: Application Opens
January 16: Information Session #2 (6:30 at Build Coffee | 6100 S Blackstone Ave, Chicago, IL 60637)
February 15: Application Closes
March 1-30: Jury Deliberations
April 1: Awardees Notified
More more information please consult the FAQ here.
Hard copies of the applications will be available for artists who are unable to use the online system.
Please contact: Adia Sykes, email@example.com for more information