The MAKER Grant is an annual award opportunity for Chicago-based contemporary visual artists who demonstrate a commitment to a sustainable artistic practice and career development. MAKER Grant’s unrestricted $3000 and $1000 annual grants are intended to recognize two exceptional artists and support the advancement of their artistic careers.
This grant is funded in part by a portion of proceeds from the Chicago Artists Coalition’s annual Starving Artist fundraiser and a matching contribution from OtherPeoplesPixels. MAKER Grant recognizes both the CAC’s and OPP’s mutual commitments to supporting local artists’ practices and professional development.
- Greg Lunceford, curator of exhibitions, City of Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs & Special Events
- Cesáreo Moreno, chief curator, National Museum of Mexican Art
- Lori Waxman, Chicago-based critic and art historian.
Deadline March 15, 2014.
In addition to financial support, MAKER Grant awardees receive:
- Published interviews and promotion through CAC and OPP communications, including a feature on CAR-Chicago Artists Resource & the OPP blog.
- A one-year CAC artist membership.
- ‘Lifetime’ OPP portfolio exceptional services.
- Two tickets to attend CAC’s Starving Artist fundraiser on June 21, 2014. Winners will be recognized at the event.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
- Artists who can show that they are at a defining moment to achieve growth in their creative and professional careers.
- Artists who demonstrate a strong and active engagement with, and professional commitment to, their artistic practice.
- Artists whose work as cultural makers impacts the development of art and culture in a meaningful way.
Applicants must be at least 21 years old, a U.S. citizen or legal resident, as well as a resident of the Chicagoland region (within a 30-mile radius of Chicago). Applicants may not be currently enrolled in a degree-granting program or its equivalent, nor may they apply as a collaborator on more than one proposed project.
Submissions are evaluated by a jury of professional peers from leading cultural institutions in Chicago, as well as representatives from Chicago Artists Coalition and OtherPeoplePixels.
HOW TO APPLY
- Complete the online application form
- Upload your Resume
- Provide 10 Work Samples
- Pay non-refundable, $15 application fee
March 15 (midnight): Application due
March 16-April 7: Jury Deliberates
Mid to late April: Announce Finalist/Awardee
This grant is funded in part by a portion of proceeds from Chicago Artists Coalition’s annual Starving Artist fundraiser and a matching contribution from OtherPeoplesPixels. The Maker grant recognizes both CAC’s and OPP’s mutual commitments to supporting local artists’ practices and professional development.
For questions, please contact Director of Exhibitions and Residencies Cortney Lederer at 312.491.8888.
Artists Mary Patten and David Leggett win the inaugural 2013 MAKER Grant award. Ms. Patten's $3,000 award will be used for travel and research for upcoming video productions; Mr. Leggett plans to use his $1,000 award for supplies. Read an interview with Mary Patten on Chicago Artists Resource.