Yearlong Ceramics Apprenticeship
Hyde Park Art Center is now accepting applications for the 2023 Ceramics Apprenticeship
program. This year-long program provides a unique opportunity for ceramic artists to work in a
community-based arts center and studio with an international reach. The Ceramics Apprentice
will be trained by the Ceramics Department Head and the Ceramics Studio Technician in
advanced studio skills, while developing their work in a supportive environment.
Successful candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to an artistic practice, experience
working in a ceramics studio, and an eagerness to engage the Art Center community. Prior
experience in ceramics is required. Applicants with experience and knowledge of gas and
electric kilns will be prioritized. People of color and folks with other marginalized identities are
strongly encouraged to apply.
The Ceramics Apprentice will be required to follow all Art Center COVID-19 safety protocols,
including submitting proof of full vaccination 2 weeks before start date. More information on
the Art Center’s COVID-19 approach can be found by opening IN-BUILDING PROGRAMS FAQ.
Please review Art Center’s community agreement and for more information on the ceramics
studio please see Ceramics Studio Policies.
Key elements of the ceramics department include:
• The largest department within the Art Center’s Oakman Clinton School and Studios, with
about 200 enrollments per term.
• A diverse population of class-takers of all ages, including functional potters, experimental
sculptors, first-timers, youth, teens and professional artists.
• Program offerings include multi-level throwing and handbuilding, figurative sculpture,
alternative firing, virtual classes, youth and summer camp programs, and a variety of
workshops and special topic classes.
Details and logistics:
• $2,400 Stipend
• 8-10 hours/week commitment to studio tasks (schedule TBD)*
• 24-hour access to the ceramics studio*
• Shared workspace in our community studios
• 400lbs of clay plus firings for personal practice
• One free class per term in any department
• Eligibility for paid teaching opportunities
• Culminating solo exhibition or show at the Art Center
• Application opens Nov 4th, 2022
• Application closes Feb 26th, 2023
• Application review and interviews begin March 15, 2023
Applications due February 26th, 2023. Apply online at
https://form.jotform.com/22290... Paper applications will be available at the front desk.
Questions? Contact Angela Dieffenbach at firstname.lastname@example.org or Brian Parris email@example.com
*Subject to change in the case of emergency (COVID-19, facility issue, etc.). All changes will becommunicated as soon as possible.