West Side Teaching Artist
About Us: With program participants young and old, we encourage critical thinking and inspire creative expression through interdisciplinary, process-based projects, skill-building workshops and large-scale collaborations. Using an artist-in-residence model, Teaching Artists work side by side with students, in an atmosphere of mutual esteem and shared curiosity, through our dynamic and experimental new method called the “SkyWAY.” At the SkyART Studios in South Chicago, in partnership with public, private, and charter schools, and at various community organizations, our programs reach more than 3,500 people each year.
About You: We are looking for engaged creators whose experimental, rigorous approach to art making can lend itself to invigorating a community of people with little to no access to cultural or artistic programming. Our intention is to build a community of talented artists who will explore, collaborate, and grow with us, contributing to a meaningful exchange of ideas and promoting cultural democracy in Chicago. Together, we will inspire and learn from one another.
Position Overview: Teaching Artists will be scheduled to facilitate 1x workshops or placed in 6 to 36-week residencies at the SkyART Studios or with our various school and community partners. As professional, experienced artist educators and representatives of SkyART, they will share a commitment to our mission: To provide free, safe, creative spaces where people are empowered and new connections are made through art.
• Contribute to a culture of learning that reflects the organization’s values and supports program participants in their development as artists and human beings;
• Develop process-based curricula that are in keeping with the SkyWAY; and
• Communicate with program staff in a timely and professional manner.
• An active creative practice
• A degree in art or a related field
• Experience working with young people
How to Apply:
• Email resume, cover letter, and portfolio to email@example.com.
SkyART is an equal opportunity employer and seeks workforce diversity with respect to race, ethnicity, culture, gender, age, sexual orientation, and physical abilities.