Wardrobe Manager/Costume Shop Assistant
Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a self-motivated and detail-oriented individual with strong communication skills to serve as our Wardrobe Manager/Costume Shop Assistant. CST is a world-class theater company producing work of the highest quality due, in large part, to a strong team philosophy. The Wardrobe Manager/Costume Shop Assistant is a full-time, integral member of the CST Costume Shop staff who thrives within our ambitious production schedule averaging 12 shows per season in a 500 seat courtyard style theater, , a 200 seat black box, and a revolutionary new flexible performance space seating up to 850, as well as several touring productions.
Job responsibilities include:
- Hiring and managing Dressers, coordinating Dresser tracks, and supervising maintenance of each production including repairs, replacements, and laundry
- Stocking shop supplies and maintaining equipment necessary for the in-house build of each production and department operations
- Coordinating any wardrobe/costume needs for special events, touch tours, and photo shoots
- Maintaining CST’s extensive costume stock, inventory, and archives both onsite and in an offsite warehouse
- Managing rentals to outside theaters including pulling, restocking, invoicing, and shipping
Required skills and experience:
- Minimum of three years of professional theater experience
- Superlative communication and organization skills, in addition to a strong understanding of period costumes and their maintenance
- Strong personnel management skills and experience constructing wardrobe tracks for large productions
- Experience working backstage as a member of the wardrobe team, organizing and executing quick-changes is preferred
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time, execute small and large motor skills, and lift up to 50 pounds
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record is required
This position is full time typically involving five days of work per week, but will require a sixth day when in production, and will include work on nights, weekends, and occasional holidays. Hours will vary based on the needs of each production. The position is salaried with benefits. Position will begin mid-October.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and 3 references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org formatted as .pdf, please. Applications will be reviewed in the order they are received. No phone calls, please. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all to apply.