Visitor Services Assistant
Visitor Services Assistant
Approximately 21 hours per week including some evening hours and regularly on weekends (Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays - must be available July 9, 2021 - January 2, 2022).
The Elmhurst Art Museum is looking for a personable and enthusiastic candidate with excellent customer service and sales skills to represent the Museum as a main point of contact with guests onsite – notably for our upcoming mini golf exhibition Par Excellence Redux (The Front 9: July – Sept, The Back 9: Oct-Jan).
This is an important position on the Museum team with responsibility for creating a positive visitor experience for visitors during this highly interactive show. Additional responsibilities for this role include checking visitors in, cleaning between visitors--such as handing out/wiping down golf club and balls, monitoring the galleries, ringing up additional purchases, and assisting with other visitor service tasks.
The Visitor Services Assistant will work closely with the Manager of Visitor Services to ensure the museum is supervised and maintained during regular museum hours, including public programs and special after-hours events. The ideal candidate will have proven customer service and/or retail experience. Some familiarity with Shopify, ShowClix, or similar POS systems is preferred. Must be proficient in dealing with the public, organized and detail-oriented with strong multi-tasking skills, and the ability to work with a team and independently.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Visitor Services Assistant in Subject line.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Greet visitors and processing admission fees at entry
• Provide enthusiastic customer service by answering questions about the museum exhibitions, merchandise, public programs and other inquiries
• Answer and direct incoming calls
• Process membership discounts for classes and gift shop merchandise
• Supervise and clean museum galleries
• Provide exemplary sales assistance in the Museum Shop
• Coordinate with other staff to assess needs and schedule during special activities
• Maintain the appearance of the Museum’s café and other public areas with housekeeping duties
• Open and close the museum when needed
• During times of low visitor attendance or gallery closings provide administrative support and other staff as needed
• Other tasks as assigned by supervisor
• Two or more years of college or related experience
• Proven success in managing and achieving superior retail results
• Previous retail, front-of-house restaurant or customer service experience
• Knowledge of software including Windows, Google Drive and Microsoft Office, iPad POS
• Ability to multi-task (i.e. explain Museum content while processing transactions).
• Ability to work weekends and some evenings as needed, as well as possible holidays.
• Curiosity about the Museum programming and the ability to communicate that to guests in an engaging and inclusive way