TimeLine Theatre House Manager
About the Position
If you are hired as a House Manager at TimeLine Theatre, you will enjoy a temporary, part-time (10-20 hours/week), non-exempt, hourly schedule. You will be responsible for providing excellent customer service with great sensitivity towards inclusion, access, and safety to our patrons at in-person performances and readings. You must have evening and weekend availability. You will report to the Audience Services Manager and collaborate with many other departments (both production and administration).
For the 21-22 Season, all TimeLine productions will be presented at Theater Wit, 1229 W. Belmont Ave. Before and during performances, TimeLine House Managers will be staffed at Theater Wit to welcome patrons and guests and ensure a transformative and immersive experience that sparks curiosity and fosters lasting community connections for all.
- Act as TimeLine’s primary visible representative at Theater Wit
- Engage with patrons as they enter the theatre and TimeLine’s space, be receptive to questions and curiosity
- Listen to and address patron issues, questions, and concerns in a friendly and efficient manner
- Establish a strong working knowledge of ADA guidelines in support of TimeLine’s Accessibility goals and assist Audience Services Manager in execution of accessibility events and special programs
Front of House Operations
- Work with Box Office Associates, Stage Management, Production Assistants, and Wit staff to coordinate the smooth operation of the house before, during, and after performances, readings, and special events
- Maintain the tidiness and accessibility of TimeLine-operated spaces
- Collaborate with Box Office Associates to execute an accessible seating plan that meets our patrons’ needs while prioritizing safety and comfort
- Prepare and distribute observant and detailed House Management Reports after performances, communicating any specific challenges and successes
- Collaborate with Stage Management and TimeLine’s COVID Compliance Officer to ensure that TimeLine’s COVID protocols are being fulfilled
- Ensure the safety of patrons and staff through a strong, working knowledge of Theater Wit emergency procedures
- Be knowledgeable about the company, our mission, values, current productions, current season, and upcoming events
- Advance the strategic marketing goals of the theatre through thoughtful collaboration with the Audience Services and Marketing teams
- Create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere through honest, clear communication with patrons, staff, and teammates
- Seasonal, part-time hourly position (with the potential for off-season project hours)
- Starts at $15.50 per hour
- 10-20 hours/week during our performance schedule (December 2021—June 2022)
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends, in particular Wednesdays – Sundays, with occasional Tuesday performances
- Some prior experience performing high volume customer service-related work
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Must be computer proficient, especially with a PC, Microsoft Office, and Google Drive
- Experiences working in a performing arts environment or with emergency situation management are appreciated, but not necessary
- First Aid and CPR certification is a plus
- You have demonstrated the ability to thrive and multi-task in a fast-paced, high energy, multicultural environment
- You have comfort acting as a leader and taking charge in different kinds of situations
- You enjoy working independently, assume responsibility, and take initiative using good judgment and strong attention to detail
- You feel responsible for the environment around you and seek to improve it with every action
- You get energy from new perspectives
- You maintain a calm, professional demeanor in all public-facing situations
- You can effectively identify and communicate issues or problems to your team
- You are punctual and have a strong track record of showing up
We would like you to commit to the 2021-2022 Season, which is planned to run from December 2021 through June 2022. Apply for this position if you are interested in obtaining a foundation in arts management at an award-winning theatre while supporting the theatre’s goal of being one of the best customer experiences in Chicago theatre.
TimeLine is committed to monitoring public health recommendations, as well as the best practices for wellness and safety of all of those we serve. If you have any questions regarding COVID safety plans or compliance, please do not hesitate to reach out. For more information on our public COVID safety protocols, you can visit timelinetheatre.com/health-and-safety
It is an essential practice of TimeLine Theatre Company to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, based upon personal capabilities and qualifications and without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin or ancestry, marital status, citizenship, disability, military status, creed, or any other trait or characteristic protected by law. TimeLine Theatre Company is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to policies and procedures relating to all terms and conditions of employment at TimeLine Theatre.
Please email, in one clearly-labeled document (PDF preferred), a resume and your answers to the short answer questions below. Your email should be to the attention of Kellyn Henthorn (she/her), Audience Services Manager, at HR@timelinetheatre.com with the subject line of your email, “House Manager Position”
We will reach out to you whether or not you are called in for interviews. Please no phone calls. If you do have questions about your application, please email us at the above address.
Applications will be accepted through Monday, November 22.
Short Answer Questions – REQUIRED
In addition to submitting your resume, please take the time to answer the following questions. You do not have to write a cover letter for this application, so we ask that you put your efforts into answering these FOUR questions in complete, thoughtful sentences (no need to write more than 3-4 sentences per question). Thanks!
- What is your customer service philosophy? How do you see yourself practicing it at TimeLine Theatre?
Staff members at TimeLine Theatre Company share the core values of the organization:
COLLABORATIVE: Valuing teamwork as a creative force
EXCEPTIONAL: Exemplifying excellence and innovation in everything we do
FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE: Managing resources effectively and appropriately
INCLUSIVE: Embracing diversity in all its forms
INTIMATE: Creating a close connection between art and audience
RESPECTFUL: Listening and being open to everyone’s perspective
HEALTHY & SAFE: Ensuring a clean environment and nurturing wellness
- (2) Please choose one value from the list above, and tell us how you have used that value in a professional setting in the past? (If you do not have professional experience, feel free to tell us how you have used that value when you have worked with others on a large project.)
- (3) How can this position and the skills you’ll learn at TimeLine contribute to your personal or professional goals?
- (4) How did you find out about this position?