Ticketing Services Manager
Chicago Shakespeare’s reputation for outstanding customer service is realized largely through the Box Office team’s daily interactions with our valued patron base. The Ticketing Services Manager leads a team of Box Office Associates responsible for assisting with ticket transactions of all kinds (individual productions, subscription packages, groups, and events)—providing the highest level of service in order to build and maintain audiences’ connection to the Theater. As a vital member of the Marketing and Sales team, this role supervises Box Office operations, guaranteeing accurate reporting, along with user-friendly procedures for both staff and patrons across all sales channels. The ideal candidate thrives within a dynamic planning process, translating innovative producing ideas into streamlined systems in Tessitura, all while fostering a culture of service, collaboration, and ingenuity.
Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, app. 40 hours per week. Currently, Box Office team is working remotely. When public health and safety restrictions are loosened, operations will resume at the Theater’s home on Navy Pier.
Sales-goal oriented and responsive infrastructure
- Fully prepare Box Office systems and team for on-sale announcements, individual promotions, and programmatic updates.
- Implement strategies devised by Marketing and Sales/Producing Offices to increase sales and attendance.
- Monitor ticket sales progress and maximize opportunities to exceed goals.
- Provide suggestions to improve ticket sales systems for best possible patron experience.
Hire, train, and supervise Box Office Staff
- Interview and select Box Office staff members as company needs require.
- Schedule shifts for Box Office, managing time and skills strategically.
- Train staff to serve customers in a variety of potential scenarios.
- Train staff for basic and advanced skills on Tessitura.
- Clearly convey sales goals to Box Office sales agents.
- Prepare and submit weekly payroll for Box Office employees.
Drive Box Office operations
- Oversee ticketing and subscription fulfillment by Box Office Staff, communicating with patrons by phone, e-mail, mail, and in person.
- Convey a comprehensive understanding of the Theater’s many subscriptions, promotions, price points, and seating maps to team.
- Ensure all members of Box Office staff are familiar with company updates, promotions, programming, technology, etc.
- Connect Box Office staff with other departments of the organization to promote collaboration.
- In consultation with other leadership, set box office hours.
- Select and train candidates from within to perform specific functions in support of the department (Group Sales, Shift Supervision, Scheduling, Tessitura Maintenance, etc.)
- Work closely with Finance department on proper handling/control of money through Box Office, and reconcile any discrepancies between Tessitura (ticketing system) and Quickbooks.
Ticketing System Management
- Build and update ticket products in Tessitura throughout the season.
- Implement and sustain systems to manage ticket inventory responsibly, ensuring maximum revenue generation.
- Manage design of print and e-tickets for each production.
- Maintain performance-related keywords.
- Regularly update prices and promotions in support of meeting sales goals.
- Develop and maintain training materials on Box Office policies and procedures.
- Act as a one of the primary contacts with Tessitura Tech Services (ticketing support consultants).
- Remain familiar with integrated ticketing/patron systems, including both Tessitura and related software. Keep apprised of all current trends in the area of ticketing for the performing arts and live event industry.
- Minimum of two years of experience managing ticketing staff and setting up ticketing sales for a performing arts institution.
Traits and attributes:
- Superior customer service instincts aligned with company mission and core values
- Skill in activating and motivating team members
- Technology fluency and curiosity
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Keen marketing acumen.
- Expertise with CRM software, preferably Tessitura.
- People management
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Windows
- Familiarity with season ticket packages
- Ability to teach others to speak confidently about productions to patrons
- Ability to manage up, seeking information from all areas of the company as needed
- Thinking ahead to anticipate departmental needs on a short and long-term basis
- Comfort with making change on short notice
- Ability to delegate tasks as needed to achieve departmental goals