RED CLAY DANCE COMPANY - CHICAGO, IL
Red Clay Dance Company is excited to request applications for our Teaching Artivist positions for the 2019-2020 School Year. Our search is for dance artists who combine high skill with innovative execution. One who will continue the elevation of dance education for our youth and communities as a vehicle for self-expression. We anticipate a like-minded candidate with such contagious passion that it stimulates the academic and social growth of those served.
As an organization, we live to awaken "glocal" change through creating, performing and teaching Afro Contemporary Dance. Change that transforms cultural and socio-economic inequities in our local and global community. This role is a unique opportunity to join a trendsetting, culturally relevant, socially transforming, elite dance organization in the Chicagoland Area. "We envision an Artivist as one who utilizes their artistic genius to become part of the solution for social change. Creatively using the body and movement as tools to gain personal and collective freedom!" (RCD)
The Teaching Artivist position works within our Community Engagement, Education, and Partnership (CEEP) Programs, the Red Clay Dance Academy and Youth Ensemble. Our education and training programs provide transformative learning opportunities where youth activate their passion for artivism (art + activism). Our programs also create intentional environments and tools to facilitate creative youth development and serve approximately 900 youth annually.
- School Residencies- We take our deeply engaging performances from the stage to the classroom through our School Residency partnerships that provide technically sound and cultural enriching in-school and after-school dance classes for grades 3-12.
- Red Clay Dance Academy- is the official school of Red Clay Dance Company! This is a tuition-based program that offers world-class dance training to youth, teens and adult, ages 1 and up. Students perform twice a year in our Holiday Sharecase and Dance4Peace Youth Concert.
- Making the Artivist-is designed to train teen participants in social justice art making. The project-based learning model uses the mediums of movement and storytelling to create a space where the social justice art making process is identified and practiced. This program is facilitated inside the Cook County Juvenile Detention Center as well as the Fuller Park neighborhood.
- Red Clay Dance Youth Ensemble-is youth-led, training and performing company for exceptional young dancers ages 13-18. Auditions are held in the Fall and Spring. Members work with professional choreographers, travel to local and national dance conferences, and a enjoy full performance season.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Teaching Artivist will:
- Develop culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate lesson plans. Instruct dance classes through curricula synergized with Red Clay Dance Company’s strategic vision and values.
- Prepare/coordinate and obtain equipment, materials and supplies for classes from Program Manager, Academy Coordinator or Site Coordinator. Manage learning environment including attendance tracking and reporting.
- Assist participating youth at community-wide events, showcases/ recitals, etc. Actively engage in mandatory staff meetings, orientation(s), and professional development.
- Evaluate participant learning and curriculum effectiveness in your class settings, reporting findings to RCD management. Other responsibilities as assigned.
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a personal passion for dance and advocate for dance education. Demonstrate an ability to engage, challenge and interest youth through dance technique and dance making.
- Possess authentic care for the people and communities served.
- Facilitate a safe, inclusive, supportive and creative environment in the classroom.
- Exceptional communication encompassing public speaking, active listening, and interpersonal skills. Willingness to be a team player deeply engaged with all stakeholders and understand their diverse needs and interests.
- Contagious excellence and professionalism.
- Desire to share dance with diverse populations.
- Consistently be involved in exploration, skill development and growth as an artist.
- Applicants with access to an automobile is highly desired as we have teaching assignments in the suburbs.
- Minimum 2 years of Teaching experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Dance or Fine Arts Education
- Access to car is a plus.
Job Type: Part Time (Contract)
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience. General pay range is $35-$50/hr.