Red Clay Dance Company is excited to request applications for our Teaching Artivist positions. Our search is for dance educators who combine high skill with innovative execution. One who will continue the elevation of dance education for our youth and communities as a vehicle for self-expression. We anticipate a like-minded candidate with such contagious passion that it stimulates the academic and social growth of those served.
This role is a unique opportunity to join a trendsetting, culturally relevant, socially transforming, elite dance organization in the Chicagoland Area. "We envision an Artivist as one who utilizes their artistic genius to become part of the solution for social change. Creatively using the body and movement as tools to gain personal and collective freedom!" (RCD)
The Teaching Artivist position works within our Education Department which includes our Training Academy and/or Community Engagement, Education, and Partnership (CEEP) Programs. Our education and training programs provide transformative learning opportunities where youth activate their passion for artivism (art + activism).
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Teaching Artivist will:
- Develop contextually relevant and developmentally appropriate lesson plans based on Red Clay Dance Company’s curriculum framework.
- Deliver highly engaging and excellent dance instruction.
- Prepare/coordinate and obtain equipment, materials and supplies for classes from Program Manager, Academy Manager or Site Coordinator.
- Manage learning environment including attendance tracking and reporting.
- Assist participating youth at community-wide events, showcases/ recitals, etc.
- Actively engage in mandatory staff meetings, orientation(s), and professional development.
- Evaluate participant learning and curriculum effectiveness in your class settings, reporting findings to RCD management.
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a personal passion for dance and advocate for dance education.
- Demonstrate an ability to engage, challenge and interest youth through dance technique and dance making.
- Possess authentic care for the people and communities served.
- Facilitate a safe, inclusive, supportive and creative environment in the classroom.
- Employ exceptional communication encompassing public speaking, active listening, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate willingness to be a team player deeply engaged with all stakeholders and understand their diverse needs and interests.
- Exude contagious excellence and professionalism.
- Desire to share dance with diverse populations.
- Consistently be involved in exploration, skill development, and growth as an artist.
Bachelor’s Degree in Dance or 3 years of teaching experience.
Access to automobile is a plus but not required.
Job Type: Contract
All materials submitted will be kept confidential. All submissions will be acknowledged.
Red Clay Dance Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values a diverse workforce. Employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, citizenship status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. Due to this role working with minors, a criminal background check is performed on the selected candidate.