Teaching Artist - Voice
The Chicago Center for Music Education (ChiME) leverages the language of music to improve the lives of diverse children, families, and communities. To guide development of critical skills, we provide access to evidence-based music therapy and education to more than 2,000 students per year.
Our facility is located in the West Town neighborhood and our programs are also delivered at 14 partner organizations, 8 of which are Chicago Public Schools. Our annual budget exceeds $1,000,000 with 4 full-time employees and 18 part-time employees.
As community arts educators we have a responsibility to prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion as a crucial part of our work to ensure that our programming:
• helps all children experience interactions that nurture their full range of social, emotional, cognitive, physical and linguistic abilities;
• presents a curriculum and programming that is bias-free and reflects and models fundamental principles of fairness and justice;
• is delivered by teaching artists who are skilled in the delivery of culturally responsive pedagogy and who value all children for who they are and what they bring to our community of learners;
The Position: Teaching Artist
We seek a teaching artist to teach private music lessons who is a trained vocalist, and passionate and qualified to help foster student growth of musical and non-musical skills through the art form within the framework of ChiME’s mission, values.
• An artist who possesses the energy, enthusiasm, and ability to engage and connect with young students
• An artist with prior private lesson teaching experience for ages 6 and older
• An artist with professional experience in music education or performance
• An artist who is responsible, accountable, and reliable for their role on a team
• An artist who values diversity, is committed to anti-bias education, and are skilled in the delivery of culturally responsive pedagogy
• An artist who values all children for who they are and what they bring to our community of learners
Compensation for teaching ranges between $36 and $50 per hour and $15 per hour for meetings and training sessions.
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest and a resume highlighting relevant work experience and accomplishments. Materials should be sent to email@example.com and include
“Piano Teaching Artist” in the subject line. Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. NO PHONE CALLS. PLEASE RESPOND VIA EMAIL ONLY.
ChiME is an "at-will" and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified applicants who are disabled may participate in the application process. Please advise us in writing of special needs at the time of application.