Teaching Artist - Visual Art | BEVERLY ARTS CENTER
As part of the Beverly Arts Center’s mission, our Outreach department offers tailored Arts-enrichment programming to Chicago area public and private schools throughout the city and surrounding suburbs before-school, in-school, and after-school. The Outreach department and its ensemble of professional Teaching Artists also serve home school groups, community organizations, libraries, churches, and more. We offer programs in all artistic disciplines in addition to coordinating field trips and special events.
BAC Outreach is seeking Visual Art Teaching Artists for immediate hire for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Planning detailed lessons for weekly, seasonal, and sometimes year-long residencies with partnering schools and organizations.
- Signing contracts committing to classes of varying length, grade-level, and enrollment numbers.
- Teaching students artistic curriculum specific to the Teaching Artist's discipline, documenting the creation process, and any finished student work or culminating events.
- Adhering to specific contractual protocols on attendance and timeliness, including the utilization of a roster listing fellow BAC Teaching Artists for isolated substitution needs.
- Submitting to fingerprinting and background checks for each partnering organization to be cleared before placement in applicable classrooms.
- Attending seasonal Professional Development meetings with fellow Teaching Artists at the BAC, led by Outreach department staff.
- Being observed in classrooms intermittently by Outreach department staff performing scheduled site visits as well as school/organizational personnel on a random basis.
- Completing bi-weekly Time Sheets claiming payment for contracted classes taught on behalf of the BAC reflecting agreed-upon pay rates and hours.
Experience and Education:
- Applicants should be practicing artists with a portfolio or body of work to present in conjunction with a resume detailing any relevant teaching experience or previous work with young people. A minimum of 2 years of teaching experience is strongly preferred.
- A High School Diploma is required, and a Bachelor's or advanced degree is preferred; compensation is commensurate with education level and teaching experience.
- All candidates will be considered primarily based on reliability, accountability, and integrity combined with a passion for bringing the arts to classrooms in need of enriching artistic programs.
Teaching Artists are strongly motivated independent contractors who demonstrate tangible classroom management skills and an ability to address behavior issues among students adequately. Transparent availability, scheduling flexibility, and strong communication skills are required assets for this position. As representatives of the Beverly Arts Center, artists are expected to be professional, prepared, and prompt for all contracted classes. The BAC reserves the right to terminate Teaching Artists from the active roster at any time if these standards are not upheld.Please provide a resume and sample lesson plan.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Only emailed applications will be considered.