Teaching Artist for School Programs
CURRENTLY SEEKING NEW TEACHING ARTISTS Art Encounter is currently seeking experienced teaching artists to join our part-time, contracted staff working across a variety of programs. Our ongoing visual art programs include long term in-school partnerships with Chicago Public Schools, after-school programs in the Evanston/Skokie school district, programs for independent adults with disabilities, and programs for seniors living in graduated care residences. At this time we are primarily looking to expand the roster of teaching artists working in our school programs. Please note: all teaching artists hired will be expected to participate in a 9-12 hour training to understand the Art Encounter curriculum and approach to teaching.
Founded in 1978, Art Encounter’s mission is to educate, empower, and connect people of all ages and backgrounds through interactive encounters with visual art. Our educational programs are rooted in the core value that there are many ways to see, and that art can be a powerful vehicle to better understand ourselves and the world around us. We bring original artworks into classrooms and lead interactive discussions that encourage participants to share their perceptions as they explore how colors, textures, materials and scale enhance their discovery of the artwork. Discussions are followed by related hands-on art-making activities that build self-confidence and a deeper understanding of the creative processes. Each project includes opportunities for sharing and peer reflection. Our approach to teaching art values the whole person, with a dual focus on aesthetic education as well as fostering stronger communities through interactive experiences with visual art.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In your letter, please include:
- Summary of your teaching experience and your approach to teaching
- Description of your art-making practice, if you have one
- General availability during the school day and after school this year
- Why you are interested in working with Art Encounter
Expectations of Art Encounter Teaching Artists are as follows:
- At least 1-2 years teaching experience in school or community center settings
- Experience with arts integration/multidisciplinary arts learning
- Ability to attend all Teaching Artist professional development workshops and trainings
- Delivery of established Art Encounter curriculum instruction and have the ability to create new curriculum
- Implementation of assessment tools embedded within programming
- Ability to collaborate/ work well with administrative staff and classroom teachers
- Ability to travel to various locations and schools in Chicago and the surrounding area, and pick up materials in Evanston office
- Must have an understanding of childhood and youth development
- Maintain timely and professional correspondence with Community Outreach Manager and school staff
Questions? Email Leslie Luning, Community Outreach Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Art Encounter does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, veteran status, physical or mental disability or any other protected status in admission or access to, or employment in its programs and activities. All contracted teaching artists must show proof of Covid-19 vaccination.