The Teaching Artist is responsible for dance, yoga, and/or meditation instruction at various Wellness for Everyone sites. The Teaching Artist will ensure the highest quality learning experience for Wellness for Everyone students and support each child holistically. The employee will support the Wellness for Everyone philosophy and community and help facilitate community and family involvement.
Hours for this position will be up to approximately 2-10 hours per week.
As a Wellness for Everyone Teaching Artist, responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Collaborating with school staff to create a shared curriculum and dynamic culture inspired by the ideals and philosophies of Wellness for Everyone
- Instructing dance, yoga, and/or meditation classes consisting of up to 25 elementary or high school students
- Preparation and communication with other Teaching Artists, Program Manager, and Wellness for Everyone staff
- Other duties as assigned
- Four-year undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required; post-graduate degree or equivalent experience a plus
- Demonstrated excellent artistry as a teacher/performer
- Strong knowledge of dance pedagogy with 200 hr yoga certification preferred
- Experience teaching in Chicago Public Schools
- Experience leading and choreographing school showcases
- Experience working with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds; experience working in underserved communities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus