Chicago Opera Theater (COT) is seeking a part-time Teaching Artist to work in our Opera for All education program in partnership with Chicago Public Schools. This is a contract position.
Opera for All inspires students to understand and appreciate opera and art by providing opportunities to actively participate in the creation and performance of an original opera.
Job Overview and Requirements:
As a Teaching Artist, you will contribute to the creation, production, and completion of COT’s Opera for All Program. Opera for All is a program that brings weekly lessons to students in Chicago Public Schools. Teaching Artists work with students as they learn about the art form of opera by creating their own original production.
This generally includes:
- Classroom visits over the course of a school year per classroom assigned and teaching the curriculum to students
- Articulating program and student outcomes
- Planning and managing preparation for and the performance of the opera
- The remote creation of blog posts, bi-weekly reports and evaluations
- Collaborating effectively with the COT admin team and the CPS partner teachers
- Additional assigned professional development training, meetings, field trips and performances
Qualifications and Skills:
Candidates must have experience in music and a love of opera. A bachelor’s degree and experience working with K-12 students in a classroom or after school setting is required. Candidates should have strong organizational, communication, and classroom-management skills, must be willing to travel to multiple neighborhoods, and be available for work during the school day. Candidates must be excellent collaborators and value the input of the student voice.
Start Date: October / November 2022
Pay Rates: $45/class session and $25/hour for additional meetings
All qualified candidates should email a letter of interest and an updated resume by September 28th, 2022 to Associate Director of Community Programming Veronica Chamberlain at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your daytime work availability beginning in mid-October through May.