NORTHLIGHT THEATRE TEACHING ARTIST:This position reports to the Director of Education & Community Engagement and Education and Community Engagement Manager and is responsible for executing Northlight Theatre’s program curriculum as assigned. Duties include but are not limited to working directly with classroom teachers and students to teach Northlight’s program curriculum as specified, attending all relevant meetings, supervising apprentices, and completing any necessary post residency evaluations and documentation.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Work directly with CPS, Evanston, Skokie, and Chicagoland area youth or adult learners in a Northlight residency to teach Northlight’s program curriculum as specified.
● Regular communication with Northlight Education Staff regarding status of program and any necessary evaluations and documentation.
● 2-3 hours a week per residency, days/times as scheduled (subject to change based on program).
● Supervise and support the learning of Assistant Teaching Artists as assigned. ● Attend Northlight Teaching Artist trainings, as applicable.
● Attend Season Access student matinees at Northlight with your students and Community Nights with our Community Engagement programs, if applicable.
● A knowledge and passion for theatre, art, or arts education.
● Experience leading arts education programs with youth or adult learners. ● Excellent writing and organizational skills.
● Ability to practice patience and flexibility in a learning environment. ● Ability to work collaboratively, engage in a feedback process, and adjust practice accordingly.
● Access to a reliable internet connection and computer to join virtual classrooms is not necessary, but helpful.
● Access to a car is not necessary, but helpful.
● Northlight seeks to provide supported programming for all of its students. Those with previous experience with ESL and neurodiverse learners are encouraged to apply.
● Applicants who accept an offer of employment for any position that involves supervising minors will be required to submit to a criminal background check prior to beginning work. These offers of employment are conditioned on receipt of a background check report that is acceptable to Northlight.
● Northlight strongly encourages employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, but does not mandate it as a condition of employment. However, we will ask all employees to verify vaccination status. Knowing our company-wide level of vaccination will enable us to manage any capacity restrictions and address safety requirements mandated by our partner unions, schools, and community partners. In addition, vaccinated individuals may be excused from certain COVID-19 mitigation protocols such as masking when appropriate.
Compensation: Compensation range is determined by program length. See below for a description of a typical pay scale.
● $50-60/hr in person instruction time (range depending on location of residency)
● $40/hr virtual instruction
● $20/hr prep time
● Travel reimbursement based on current IRS rate when measuring round-trip mileage from Northlight Theatre)
● Comp tickets for Northlight Theatre productions
How to Apply: Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume with relevant experience and three listed references via email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
● Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
● Priority will be given to applications received by Friday, August 6.
As an equal opportunity employer, Northlight Theatre hires outstanding individuals into every position in the company. People who work with us have a high degree of engagement, a commitment to working effectively in teams, and a passion for the company’s mission. We place the highest value on creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and contribute, and refuse to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious belief, sex, age, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, partnership status, caregiver status, sexual and reproductive health decisions, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation. Reflecting our commitment to be an inclusive and accessible employer, we welcome applications for all open positions from a diverse applicant pool that reflects our community and programming.
Check out our education programs at northlight.org/education.