Chicago Artists Coalition helps people connect with opportunities including calls for artists, jobs, grants, and art advising
Support Teaching Artist, 5 days a week
Performing Arts Support Teaching Artist for Grades K & 1.
- Summary Seeking a Support Teaching Artist (STA) for daily Performing Arts class for students in Grades K & 1. The STA helps behavior model, works one-on-one with students who need individual attention, and leads some class activities.
- Where Prescott Elementary, 1632 W WRIGHTWOOD Ave
Chicago, Illinois 60614
- Schedule: Class meets 5 days a week, 2:45-3:45pm, every day CPS is in session for the full school year.
- Other Info:
- This program is in person
- Support Teaching Artist must be fully vaccinated.
- Please do not apply if you are not comfortable teaching in person.
- Idea Box will be tracking medical safety recommendations and making our own decisions regarding whether to remain in-person independently of Chicago Public Schools, but at this time we are planning to run this program in person. This decision may change as the situation develops, and our Teaching Artists will be part of the conversation.
- Classroom is the school cafeteria. We paint markers on the floor to serve as a seating chart/personal space marker.
- This class works in partnership with the upper grade levels (2 through 4) to deliver a continuous curriculum. The STA is not responsible for curriculum development, but will be expected to become familiar with the full curriculum arc of the K through 4th program.
- This program is in person
- Ideal Qualifications:
- A minimum of a year of experience working with students in an urban public school environment.
- Experience working in more than one artistic field, ideally both performance and making, but ALL art forms are accepted. Obscure specialties welcome and encouraged.
- Willingness to get down and roll around with the kids-- this is a very active class and the STA helps model often.
- An interest in joining the Idea Box Teaching Artist community, which includes:
- Regular paid training opportunities
- Interdisciplinary training and sharing
- Learning the Idea Box Creative Development model (don't worry, it's an easy one-page thing)
- A commitment to learning and using trauma-aware, culturally responsive teaching practices.
- Applicants must complete a fingerprint background check immediately upon hire.
- Disposable masks and gloves will be provided if requested by the STA.
- $20/hr for all teaching and training hours. Assuming all hours are worked as scheduled, total pay for this program is 172 hours @ $20/hr = $3,440.00 for the full year.
- Teaching Artists are paid as independent contractors.
- To Apply: email Emily Leonard at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Cover letter that demonstrates why you would be a good fit for this position.
- Resume highlighting your relevant experience.
- (optional) Student work samples.
- (optional) Sample classroom activity outline.
- Confirm your availability for the dates and times of this program (very important!)