Summer Camp Counselor
Ready to learn the skills of exceptional educators in an amazingly fun summer job? Interested in education and project-based learning? Love working with and having an impact on kids?
Summer Camp Counselors are the single most consistent presence in the experience of each Camp Galileo camper, and have the greatest potential impact on each camper’s summer. Counselors are also often responsible for culture-building in the camp schedule, and spend much of their “work” time having a great time. Learn more about this role and working at Galileo in our jobs video gallery.
We value divergent thinkers who bring various experiences and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Galileo’s mission is to develop innovators who envision and create a better world. We know it’s bold. We also know that we can’t achieve it without asking staff to be role models of an innovator’s mindset—visionary, courageous, collaborative, determined and reflective. It’s not always easy. Camp staffers work hard. Very hard. You can expect days in which there’s a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it. But part of what makes our culture great is that no one is too proud to complete any task that needs doing. Our camp staffers bring camp magic to life—for campers, and for themselves.
- Commitment to educational programming for children
- Flexibility to meet changing work needs and demands
- Respond to camper, family member and colleague needs
- Ability to communicate clearly, maturely and compassionately with families
- Ability to maintain an excellent work ethic, a high level of energy and exceptional enthusiasm all day, every day, for the duration of the summer
Required Experience & Education
- Some college or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Experience working with kids or in a camp setting a plus
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead your team of up to 20 campers throughout the week to art, science and outdoor rotations
- Provide leadership, energy and camp spirit for campers, constantly assessing group dynamics and the needs of individual campers
- Assist Lead Instructors in the classroom as they deliver curriculum to your team of campers
- Provide excellent customer service to families by communicating with them on a daily basis about their camper’s experience
- Summer Camp Counselors are compensated at a regular hourly rate of $10.00-13.50 per hour
- Staff will be compensated at a different hourly rate (training rate) for 2-12 hours of online training to be completed before camp, and for 2 days on-site setup/training
- Summer staff positions are temporary, seasonal positions and do not include health benefits or paid vacation time
- Overtime will be paid at 1.5x the regular hourly rate in accordance with state and federal requirements
- Payroll is processed weekly; payments will be issued and paystubs made available the Friday after each camp week
- Free and/or significant camp discounts (exact details contingent on location)