String Orchestra Conductor
The Hyde Park Youth Symphony is currently seeking candidates to fill the position of String and Preparatory Orchestra Conductor.
HYDE PARK YOUTH SYMPHONY
The (HPYS) is a rapidly growing non-profit organization in the South Side of Chicago. In its 67th season, HPYS seeks to provide a well-rounded musical education to students in the South Side through inspirational teaching. HPYS is in partnership with the Logan Center and University of Chicago Department of Music, and its recent history is one of growth in artistic excellence, organizational structure, and fiscal management.
HPYS offers orchestral education at three levels: Youth Symphony (full orchestral experience), String Orchestra (advancing string players), and Preparatory Orchestra (first-time ensemble players).
The mission of the String and Preparatory Orchestra Conductor is to deliver a rewarding, challenging, educational, and exciting musical experience to young musicians and to promote the growth, reach, and reputation of the organization. Responsibilities include:
1. Conducting weekly Thursday afternoon rehearsals and quarterly concerts for String and Preparatory Orchestras (SO and PO);
2. Collaborating with the Music Director to select repertoire/pedagogical goals for SO and PO, arranging, editing, and copying parts as necessary;
3. Working with the MD to audition and assign members to the appropriate orchestra;
4. Assisting staff and Board in recruitment efforts as needed.
The String and Preparatory Orchestra Conductor should be an experienced teacher of young string players in group settings. Additionally, s/he should have conducting experience and the skills needed to choose repertoire, plan rehearsals, and lead concerts.
Necessary qualifications for the position include:
1. Proficiency in string instrumental technique;
2. Ability to engage positively with both students and parents;
3. Ability to teach young musicians effectively;
4. Willingness to work cooperatively with the staff, mentors, and Board of Directors to promote the mission of the HPYS.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume with two to three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately, and applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. Questions about the position can be directed to email@example.com.