Staff Accountant | Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras
Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras (CYSO) announces an immediate opening for a full-time Staff Accountant.
CYSO’s mission is to inspire and cultivate personal excellence through music. We offer a continuum of programs that serve young musicians 6-18 years old through on-site ensembles, neighborhood programming, and concerts serving Chicago Public Schools students and the wider Chicagoland community. Each season, we serve 800 young musicians in weekly rehearsals and another 8,500 students and families through community programming.
CYSO is investing in the future of music and the next generation of leaders. As an organization, we foster a culture of excellence and professionalism among staff. Our team values compassion, collaboration, and an on-going desire to continue to learn as individuals and as an organization. The CYSO staff is passionate about music, young people, education, and equity.
The Staff Accountant position will support the Director of Finance in performing general ledger bookkeeping, accounts receivable and accounts payable activities, and other monthly accounting functions. The position may be also be involved in performing office management activities as needed.
Primary duties include:
- Prepare tuition invoices for student and other income accounts;
- Manage tuition A/R accounts and payment plans;
- Communicate with clients by phone and email regarding A/R accounts;
- Record cash and A/R receipts in accounting system;
- Update accounting system client database;
- Process checks and cash as received and prepare bank deposits;
- Process monthly A/P and credit card expenses, in accounting system;
- Assisting with office technology equipment purchasing, upgrades and setup;
- Other assigned activities related to not-for-profit accounting, human resources and administration.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
The Staff Accountant should have the following preferred education and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting;
- Related employment experience, with not for profit accounting experience preferred;
- Experience with accounting systems, FundEZ preferred;
- Experience with Microsoft 365, including Windows Office applications and other business software;
- Effective oral and written communication, including phone skills;
- Analytic and problem solving skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Human resources experience;
- Knowledge of IT and computer systems;
- Filing and general office organization skills;
- Ability to work at a computer for an extended length of time;
- Ability to move boxes up to 25 lbs.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The position is a full time regular position with an annual salary range of $38,000-$43,000, based on experience.
Full time benefits include:
- Health/dental insurance 80% covered;
- Life/STD/LTD insurance;
- 403(b)(7) pension savings plan with employer contribution up to 5% match after one year;
- 10 vacation, 10 PTO, plus 14 holiday days off per year.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Martha Nolin, Director of Finance
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras’ dedication to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) is inseparable from our commitment to musical excellence. We value the unique role and contribution of every member of our team and recognize the importance of a staff that reflects the experience and background of our students in order to equip them to excel as the next generation of leaders. CYSO staff regularly participate in antiracism, anti-bias, and other EDI training and actively seek candidates for all artistic and administrative roles who are equipped and committed to furthering this work.
CYSO is an equal opportunity employer.