Staff Accountant | Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras
Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras (CYSO) announces an immediate opening for a Staff Accountant.
CYSO’s mission is to inspire and cultivate personal excellence through music. We offer a continuum of programs that serve young musicians 6-18 years old through on-site ensembles, neighborhood programming, and concerts serving Chicago Public Schools students and the wider Chicagoland community. We serve 650 students in on-site programs and another 8,500 through community programs and online content.
CYSO is investing in the future of music and the next generation of leaders. As an organization, we foster a culture of excellence and professionalism among staff. Our team values compassion, collegiality, diversity, and an on-going desire to learn as individuals and as an organization. The CYSO staff is passionate about music, youth, education, and equity.
The Staff Accountant position will support the Director of Finance in performing general ledger bookkeeping accounts receivable and accounts payable activities. The position may also be involved in performing office management activities as needed. Primary duties include:
- Prepare tuition invoices for student and other income accounts;
- Manage tuition A/R accounts and payment plans;
- Communicate with clients by phone and email regarding their accounts;
- Record cash and A/R receipts in accounting system;
- Update accounting system client database;
- Process checks and cash as received and prepare bank deposits;
- Enter A/P credit card expenses, including credit card in accounting system;
- Assisting with office technology equipment and upgrades and activities and
- Other assigned activities related to not-for-profit administration.
The position is a part-time regular position that is budgeted for 20-30 hours per week, and will pay an hourly rate of $20-$25 based on experience.
The Staff Accountant should have the following preferred education and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting;
- Related employment experience;
- Strong attention to detail;
- File and other office organization skills;
- Analytic and problem solving skills;
- Effective oral and written communication, including phone skills;
- Experience with accounting systems, FundEZ preferred;
- Experience with Microsoft 365, including Windows Office applications and other business software;
- Ability to work at a computer for an extended length of time;
- Ability to move boxes up to 25 lbs.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to:
Martha Nolin, Director of Finance
Email preferred. No phone calls, please. Please list “CYSO Staff Accountant” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
CYSO is an equal opportunity employer.