Shipping Services Coordinator | Terry Dowd Inc.
Terry Dowd Inc. has been a leader in Fine Art Services in the Chicago area and nationally for 30+ years. Recently moved to Mana Contemporary Chicago’s communal building in the artist-friendly Pilsen neighborhood, TDI is in the process of robustly updating our operations, resulting in exciting experiences and new opportunities.
The TDI Shipping Department executes 10-20 fine art shipments per week, including entire museum exhibitions, museum and institution loans, and large-scale private collection shipments. This volume is in addition to preparing for and quoting future shipments.
The Shipping Services Coordinator is a multi-faceted position that assists in organizing and executing fine art shipping services occurring within the Terry Dowd Inc. facilities. The position will work closely at times in a team with other Coordinators and Art Handlers as appropriate to complete tasks. The position’s chief responsibilities include assisting the Registration Manager/Registrar with communicating with Project Managers, vendors, and clients to obtain shipping quotes, ensure the safe and accurate handling of property as it is loaded/unloaded/moved about the TDI facility, and that the correct property is released. The position serves as a gateway for all property coming into or out of the company’s possession, requiring high attention to detail and sensitivity to TDI’s standards. The position also assists the Registration Manager/Registrar in preparing administrative needs for shipments (vendor quotes, labor estimates, bookings, making labels and packing lists and ensuring they’re applied, completing shipping documents/BOLs accurately, assisting with record-keeping and data entry, etc.). The position requires extreme attention to detail, strong organization and communication skills, ability to multi-task under pressure in a fast-paced environment, and professionalism and a positive attitude, as it will have direct contact with clients, shipping-vendor-staff, couriers, etc.
Interested candidates should contact us and submit a cover letter and resume for consideration. No calls please.
Company: Terry Dowd Inc. 2233 S. Throop St, Chicago, IL 60608
Position reports to: Registration Manager / Registrar
Compensation: Hourly (+ benefits after probationary period including health insurance, PTO, and 401K plan)
Status: Full Time, non exempt- subject to the Collective Bargaining Unit
- Communicate with Registration Manager, Project Managers, and fine art shipping vendors to obtain accurate and timely shipping quotes. Assist in providing shipping/receive/release estimates.
- Monitor and assist in maintaining facility schedule: communicate with Manager and vendors, coordinate with shipping vendors and drivers.
- Work with Project Managers, Registration Manager, and Registration Services Coordinator, to determine staffing and equipment needs for receives and releases.
- Prepare BOLs, shipping documents, shipping labels, packing lists, identification tags, etc. and ensure property is correctly labeled at all times.
- Coordinate and Communicate with Mana Fine Art Storage staff, Transport Coordinator/Manager, Registration Services Coordinator, and Project Managers to deliver and retrieve property for receives and releases.
- Oversee the safe handling and loading of artwork/property onto 3rd party vendor trucks. Ensure that TDI standards for packing/crating are met.
- give instruction to and supervise support staff/art handlers
- lead crews/assist as necessary.
- complete basic packing, receives/releases independently when necessary/able
- ensure all paperwork is completed accurately and turned in
- Receive property from 3rd party shipping vendors and clients- attentive to detail- notate observable damages to property and inform Manager.
- Ensure property within the facility is safely handled & stored using best practices.
- Assist Registration Services Coordinator with staffing in-house service projects as necessary: packing/unpacking, viewings, inspections, TSA Screenings, etc.
- Assist in maintaining accurate records: copies, filing, and data entry.
- Assist in daily maintenance of the TDI Property Inventory and ensure accuracy.
- Identify ways to improve efficiency, performance, and better achievement of TDI standards.
- Serve at public/promotional events, assist in organizing as needed.
- Assist in responding to emergency situations as they arise (security, health and safety, disaster and damages, etc.).
- Other projects as assigned.
- Professional attitude, diplomatic demeanor; ability to work with a variety of personalities, many of which can be challenging and demanding.
- Independent initiative/self-starter mentality required.
- Ability to work independently and with a group and serve as intermediary to a variety of personalities and positions.
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality. Diplomatic, with the highest standard of client service and patience.
- Commitment to policies and procedures of the company and the department.
- Minimum 2 years experience in art handling and knowledge of best practices required.
- Experience working with/in museums/institutions preferred.
- Experience working in a fine art facility preferred.
- Knowledge of receive, and release procedures required; 2 years’ experience preferred.
- Knowledge of art shipping industry required: knowledge of domestic shipping procedures and logistical challenges; 2 years’ experience preferred.
- Familiarity with TSA CCSP regulations.
- Thorough knowledge and practice with detailed record keeping.
- Excellent communication skills required. Ability to respond quickly and clearly.
- Outstanding organizational skills: ability to account for fluctuating and critical details required.
- High attention to detail both physical and on paper, and sensitivity to TDI standards required.
- Excellent and articulate communication skills.
- Experience in a fast-paced environment; proven ability to multi-task and handle multiple complicated projects/responsibilities simultaneously.
- Strong analyzation skills—ability to identify missing information, ensure procedures are being followed correctly, identify potential problems, etc.
- Familiarity with MS Office, Outlook, various software.
- Thorough experience with databases, data entry, and Microsoft excel required.
- College bachelor’s degree in business, business administration, fine art, arts administration, and/or art history required; Masters degree preferred; or equal/relevant experience.
- Must be able to lift 50+ lbs.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Some weekend and evening availability required as shipping activity necessitates.