Senior Model Maker, Design and Prototyping
Kaleidoscope is an independent brand consultancy with offices in Chicago, New York, Cincinnati, Dubai, and Minneapolis. Our teams integrate strategy, design and prototyping to solve complex business challenges that deliver tangible results. From concept development and packaging design all the way through printing and assembly, our creatively-led and strategically-driven teams can do it all.
The Senior Model Maker is an integral part of the shop team and works under the supervision of the Model Shop Manager in collaboration with internal design and production teams. This person is an expert with hybrid skills in industrial design and fabrication. They are a crafts-person who has hands-on experience building a wide variety of low-to-high fidelity physical product prototypes and also serving design, consumer product, packaging, engineering and marketing customers.
- Design and build physical prototype models from drawings, CAD files and design direction.
- Develop inventive breadboard models and pre-engineer mechanical project solutions.
- Build models using hand tools, power tools, metal, woodworking tools and floor machinery.
- Detailed hand-finishing of model parts for painting.
- Building silicone molds and casting urethane model parts.
- Vacuum forming parts using patterns.
- Program and machine CNC parts using Mastercam or equivalent.
- Create CAD files using Solidworks and Fusion 360.
- Operation of rapid prototyping 3D printers.
- Maintain a high degree of quality and budget on all projects.
- Assist, direct and mentor associate freelancers in the department.
- Collaborate with internal design and production teams to meet project goals.
- Work daily with shop team in maintaining a clean and safe shop.
- Assist the Model Shop and other Realization departments as needed.
- Model Making
- Model Design and Product Development
- Packaging and Sales Samples
- Exhibit Displays
- CAD Drafting
- 3D Printing
- CNC Machining and CAM Programming
- Mold and Casting
- Paint and Finishing
Education and Experience:
- Degree with a concentration in Model Making, Industrial Design, and Mechanical Engineering or related Industrial Manufacturing, preferred.
- 5+ years professional experience creating models for product development.
- Exceptional work ethic and a "roll up your sleeves" mentality.
- Understanding of manufacturing processes and materials.
At Kaleidoscope, we continuously strive to build a performance-driven culture of talented and creative staff who are passionate about making a positive impact on our clients’ businesses through design thinking and the art of making. That is our true North; our guiding principle. We believe the recipe for best-in-class creative starts with the people that walk in the door every morning. If you’re looking to make a difference, be part of a growing and dynamic team, we’d love to start a conversation.
In addition to a great studio space, unlimited Starbucks coffee, and awesome people to work with, Kaleidoscope offers:
- Competitive base pay;
- PTO/Floating Holidays, Paid Holidays, and Paid Parental Leave;
- Health, well-being and retirement benefits including
- Medical, dental and vision insurance;
- 100% employer-paid Basic Life and AD&D Insurance;
- Voluntary Life allows for additional coverage for self, partner and children;
- Voluntary Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance (STD and LTD)
- 401(k) plan with generous employer match;
- Employee Assistance Program - free and confidential for you and your family.
Kaleidoscope is a proud equal opportunity employer.
Upon hire, candidates are required to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States.