Senior/Lead Rigger/Art Handler
SENIOR / LEAD RIGGER, ART HANDLER, AND INSTALLER
The Chicago-based company, Methods & Materials, specializing in the installation and rigging of large-scale sculptures, artifacts, and objects, seeks crew member(s) to assist in on-site crew leadership while working as part of a team. Our ideal candidate has advanced knowledge and skill sets in rigging and working with oversized objects, in an art environment or otherwise.
This position requires physical labor, knowledge of and comfort with rigging, and the skilled, specialized care needed to move artwork. This is NOT an administrative position!
- $25-$35 starting hourly
- Paid vacation, 401k, and generous health insurance plan after 90-day probationary period.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Acting as a ‘lead’ or ‘senior’ figure in terms of knowledge and experience, the ideal candidate is comfortable leading and supporting a crew, giving direction, and delegating tasks.
- Safely pack and unpack valuable art/artifacts.
- The secure transportation of art objects across both short and long distances.
- Rigging, hoisting and setting artworks/artifacts for installation, storage, or transportation.
- The practice of proper lifting procedures when lifting/carrying heavy items.
- Following detailed instructions, often in the form of engineering drawings or artist-provided diagrams.
- Time management: making sure a job is executed within an estimated time frame, and working to do so safely.
- Forklift certification is a plus; we will train for certification if needed.
- Minimum 2 years of art installation/rigging experience.
- References or images of prior work may be requested.
- Experience working with art in a similar industry and/or experience working in construction/material handling are valuable to us.
- Must be a skilled driver: Our fleet includes a 1-ton pick-up truck, often with a trailer, various-sized box trucks with lift gates, and forklifts.
- Driver’s license and proof of clean driving record will be required upon hire.
- Ability to lift up to 75 lbs. unassisted (a sheet of ¾” ply is this weight).
- Attentive and timely; must be on time day-to-day, and have access to reliable transportation.
- Problem-solving skills, critical and logical thinking, and a can-do attitude are mandatory.
- Must work well independently (self-directed) and as a team (collaboratively).
- Art knowledge (either academically, or in practice) is a plus.
- Welding and fabrication experience is a plus, not a requirement.
- 20ft+ Heights, lifting heavy/awkward objects, and heavy machinery are a part of our “every day”.
- Travel for projects, sometimes two weeks or more at a time.
- We work both indoors and outdoors, in good and bad weather. Must be comfortable working in inclement weather.