Scenic Carpenter | Steppenwolf Theatre Company
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Scenic Carpenter. The Scenic Carpenter works as part of the scenic team and is responsible for constructing scenic elements for productions, collaborating with staff on the build, load-in, and load-out of theatrical scenery, and maintaining a safe work environment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- Working knowledge of power tools and hand tools
- Knowledge in scenic construction, rigging, automation, and technical drafting
- Experience in theatrical carpentry, automation, welding, rigging, and sewing
- Working knowledge with specialized tools in advanced scenic construction, e.g. wood and metal working tools, CNC
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and multi- task
- Knowledge of safe practices relevant to hazardous waste and MSDS.
- Ability to frequently lift and carry objects weighing 50+ lbs.
Two years of professional carpentry experience is preferred. Candidates with equivalent experience and expertise will be considered.
This position reports to the Technical Director.
- Constructing scenery and set pieces, including mechanically moving pieces, stationary, and flying pieces
- Collaborating with Technical Director and Scene Shop Supervisor on a regular basis to ensure safe and efficient build, installation, and strike of scenery
- Reading and interpreting shop drawings
- Participation in the load-in and strike of productions
- Maintaining a safe and tidy work and shop environment
- Performing other duties and responsibility as assigned by Technical Director or Scene Shop Supervisor