Merit School of Music is seeking a Saxophone instructor to teach Private Lessons through our Merit Music in Communities (MMIC) program. Students in the MMIC program are comprised of beginning through advanced level in grades 5th – 8th. Qualified candidates may also be considered to teach in Merit’s on-site Private Lesson Program.
Merit School of Music is a community music school located in Chicago’s West Loop. Our primary goals are to help young people transform their lives and experience personal growth through music by providing access to sustained participation. For more than 40 years, we have been home to a diverse community of talented young musicians and have acted as a springboard for achieving full musical and personal potential. Our 125 passionate and experienced teaching artists provide access to high-quality music education, engaging over 3,000 students annually at our downtown location and in area schools and community centers.
Our students, who reflect the socioeconomic and ethnic diversity of Chicago, have the rare opportunity to learn together, dream together, teach each other, and broaden their horizons as they build inspiring lives through music. Merit develops musicians and provides young people with the tools they need to excel in life, with virtually 100 percent of our graduates going on to conservatory or college.
Merit School of Music is committed to building a world in which historically underrepresented groups can attain access to quality music education. Simultaneously, Merit is continually working towards becoming an organization that is truly reflective of the demographics of the city and the students we serve. Merit is dedicated to being an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and anti-racist organization and continually examining our efforts in this area.
The Saxophone Instructor reports to the Band Program Director.
Responsibilities of Saxophone Instructor include, but are not limited to:
• Delivering high-quality instruction to students in weekly lessons or classes
• Communicating with on-site Merit band directors to determine individual student needs and goals
• Providing Merit staff with student recommendations for additional Merit programming
• Participation in Merit faculty meetings and/or department meetings
• Timely correspondence with Merit staff and students/families
• Other projects as assigned
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
• Proven success teaching Saxophone students at various skill levels from beginner through advanced
• Strong classroom management skills
• Ability to collaborate and work well with colleagues and administrators
• Punctual, professional, and collegial
• Flexible and adaptive disposition
• A high level of personal musicianship
• Spanish language skills preferred
Bachelor’s degree in music or equivalent experience/training
• Private Lessons taking place at Carson Elementary (5516 S Maplewood) will occur Monday – Friday between 1:00 – 6:00pm and will average 2-7 hours per week.
• Private Lessons taking place at Merit’s Joy Faith Knapp Music Center are scheduled based on student-teacher availability.
• Private Lessons may also take place virtually, via Zoom for “on-site” students, and via Google Meet for students at Carson Elementary.
Compensation is $44.00/hour for private lessons regardless of location. Off-site private lessons taking place at MMiC school sites are eligible for mileage reimbursement in accordance with Merit School of Music policies.
To apply, please upload your resume detailing your relevant experience and qualifications for this role using this link. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Materials should be compatible with Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat PDF. Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their materials and further guidance and updates about the hiring process by e-mail, with interviews provided for finalists.
ALAANA/BIPOC people, trans and gender nonconforming people, and women are encouraged to apply.
For more information about Merit School of Music, please visit www.meritmusic.org.
Merit School of Music is committed to enhancing the diversity of our musical community, recognizing that by providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning environment for our students, we are preparing them for personal and professional success in an increasingly multicultural and global society. The Merit community recognizes that it has a responsibility for creating and sustaining a learning and working environment where difference is valued, and where equity and inclusion are practiced.