Sales and Ticketing Manager
POSITION: Sales and Ticketing Manager, Lookingglass Theatre Company
REPORTS TO: Director of Marketing
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Exempt
As one of the country’s largest ensemble theatres dedicated to the creation of new work, Lookingglass Theatre Company seeks to redefine the theatrical experience and to make theatre more exhilarating, inspirational, and accessible to all. Founded in 1988 by a group of Northwestern University theatre graduates, Lookingglass moved into its permanent home in the historic Water Tower Water Works on Chicago’s Michigan Avenue in 2003. Now in its 34th Season, the Company is a respected source for story-centered theatrical work that is evocative, physical, and visually rich.
With a roster of 29 Ensemble Members and 22 Artistic Associates, Lookingglass productions are centered on ensemble with training in theatre, dance, music, and circus arts. Through its powerful, original theatre, the Company's goal is to fire the imagination with love, to celebrate the human capacity to taste and smell, weep and laugh, create and destroy, and wake up where we first fell—changed, charged and empowered.
The Sales and Ticketing Manager oversees all aspects of ticketing and data analysis for Lookingglass productions and events, pricing and sales reporting, membership sales, group sales, and customer service. This person is a data nerd and loves to dig into sales trends and reports to make insightful observations and strategic recommendations on pricing and practice.
They also have experience managing a team as they lead the box office staff and coordinate on a daily basis. This role will cross train with Front of House management to support the manager on duty role.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Ticketing and Reporting
• Oversee all aspects of ticketing at Lookingglass through Lookingglass’ CRM platform, Spektrix and act as chief liaison; keep up to date on newly available opportunities and troubleshooting ticketing issues
• Coordinate ticketing with HotTix, TodayTix, Goldstar, and all 3rd Party ticket vendors.
• Manage all aspects of daily ticket sales processing and reporting
• Track and disseminate accurate and up-to-date attendance and ticket sales data. Current reports include weekly cumulative sales emails, attendance reports, royalty reports, customer list generations, end of fiscal years reconciliation, trends reports, and all sales reports as needed by the Executive Director, Director of Marketing or Business Office.
• Collaborate with Director of Marketing on ticket prices, dynamic pricing, and promotional discounts, making strategic recommendations based on trends to optimize sales
• Work with the General Manager and Director of Marketing in the development of box office policies, performance schedule, hours of operations, hiring of staff and access initiatives.
• Collaborate with all departments on maintaining standards for CRM use and lead regular staff trainings
• Manage direct mail lists for mailings and fulfill list trade requests from other organizations via TRG and CRM database.
• Complete comp requests, including VIP comp requests, exercising discretion with house seats between departments and press requests.
• Coordinate with Director of Production to develop the seating chart specific to each production, to be built out within the ticketing system and approved by Director of Marketing, Executive Director and Artistic Director.
• Participate in organization-wide anti-racism work and incorporate an anti-racist lens into daily practice. Lookingglass recognizes that it has much to do towards being an anti-racist and a more equitable institution. This work, by the Board, Ensemble, and staff, is ongoing and is publicly reflected here: Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion Statement – Lookingglass Theatre Company. (https://lookingglasstheatre.org/aeistatement/)
Box Office/ On Site Frontline Duties
• Manage, train, and supervise box office staff and provide box office support as needed, including selling tickets, processing subscription, group, and single ticket sales, and responding to emails and voicemails
• Model and provide excellent customer support through email and phone
• Troubleshoot mobile ticketing issues
• Provide back up support for House Management and audience management, including checking proof of vaccine upon audience entry
• Kindly deal with customer issues that arise prior to performances
• Oversee deposit of cash and checks for box office banking
• Serve as a member of the Lookingglass’ marketing team at events, supporting Press Opening, Celebration Opening, Theatre Night Out, Season Kickoff, and other patron events
• Collaborate with Audience Experience Manager to
o Create and execute a strategic plan for growing group ticket sales revenue to achieve/exceed group sales goals as determined in concert with the Director of Marketing
o Strategize and implement efficiencies for the group sales process
o Support the group sales ticket reservation process
• Provide regular and accurate reporting of group sales dollars pending, and paid per production
• Provide support (with Box Office Associate) to the group sales process in ticketing system; putting seats on hold and processing payment
Throughout the run of a production, the Sales and Ticketing Manager will work Tuesdays through Saturdays (noon-8PM). When not in performance, the workweek hours may be adjusted, in discussion with the Director of Marketing, to 9AM-5PM. Lookingglass is in production approximately 34 weeks a year.
When there are special events, including press or celebration opening, the schedule will be adjusted to support the needs of the events. This role will cross train as backup for Front of House management.
• Experience in ticketing system or database management
• Experience providing analytical data reporting
• Excellent attention to detail
• Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously while prioritizing
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Passion or experience in the arts a plus
• Ability to work remotely with Lookingglass provided equipment as needed
• Current COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and granted in accordance with Lookingglass policy
• Health Insurance (choice of PPO or HMO; Organization covers the cost of 95% of the HMO plan. If PPO plan is elected, staff members pays the difference between the PPO plan and 95% of the HMO plan. This is reevaluated annually in July with the adoption of the health plan).
• Vision & Rx plan;
• 12 paid holidays (including Juneteenth and Election Day);
• Vacation, Personal, Sick time-off, including birthday.
• In recognition of the unplanned costs incurred by working from home Employee may be eligible for a monthly reimbursement of $30.00 to be evaluated and paid quarterly. Eligibility will be based on the evolution of Lookingglass’ work from home policies and availability of and access to Lookingglass-provided work resources for this position, such as a brick-and-mortar office space.
• Lookingglass Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetics, or status as an individual with a disability. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants.
To be considered, please send cover letter, resume, and three references to Maggie McNamara, Director of Marketing, at email@example.com with “Sales and Ticketing Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.